From: Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>
Subject: Re: Free learning resources for Ada (are they good enough?)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-08-09T12:39:01-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Dufr

I hope I won't upset anyone here but I do not recommend Barnes book as a first book. I also don't recommend Cohen as a first book.

Both these books are very good but they are huge and are mind crushingly complex for a newbie.

I enjoyed the wikipedia book.

Also try adacraft, it's free online too.

There is also linux Ada programming

I own over 20 Ada books now. I bought a bunch of them at Abebook.com used. Ada 95 books are about $5 and Ada 83 books are about $1

I liked building parallel, Embedded and real-time applications with ada by McCormick and Hugues but it's a bit expensive.

I often start projects and then abandon them.  This might be yet another one but I am actually trying to put together a tiny little book of my own which will be available for free.

I want to call it  "Ada for Pyjama coders"

I am hoping it will be a very simple introduction that will prepare people to read full Ada books which are all quite large and challenging.

I only get to study at 1 or 2 A.M. I don't know how many times I have fallen asleep with an Ada book still in hand.

I think there should have been an easier book for people like me and I hope I can write one