* ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-15 16:19 Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2003-07-15 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada Core Technologies and ACT Europe are pleased to announce the first
public release of GPS, the GNAT Programming System IDE, for the GNU/Linux,
Solaris and Windows platforms.

Designed by programmers for programmers, the GPS IDE integrates the GNAT
Ada 95 tools within a single visual development environment. GPS is Free
Software. This version is intended for use in academic and Free Software
projects.

GPS is available at http://libre.act-europe.com/gps

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-15 21:12 ` Georg Bauhaus
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-07-15 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Charlet <charlet@gnat.com> wrote:

: GPS is available at http://libre.act-europe.com/gps

Wow. Thank you! This is going to be fun.

IF I might ask one question: The check boxes to en/dis-able
features look like

[ ] Disabled  (when not checked)
[x] Enabled  (when checked)
and the text changes accordingly from Disabled to Enabled
and back. (Which is confusing because following my usual(?)
expectation, I had thought that I was disabling a feature
presented as "[ ] Disabled" only when I place a check mark
in the box.)
Now my question is, is this a GTk+ feature? (I haven't seen
this kind of checkbox ever before...)

Thanks again,
Georg

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-15 21:39 ` chris.danx
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2003-07-15 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Charlet wrote:

> GPS is available at http://libre.act-europe.com/gps

Oh a present.  Timely too!  Thanks!

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-15 22:36   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-07-15 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

chris.danx wrote:
> Arnaud Charlet wrote:
>
>> GPS is available at http://libre.act-europe.com/gps
>

> Oh a present.  Timely too!

Hope no one thinks I was being cheeky, I meant it's release coincides
with some work I'm doing and this free tool is very much appreciated.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-16  5:28 ` Karel Miklav
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Karel Miklav @ 2003-07-16  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great!

Thank you,
Karel Miklav

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-16  6:52   ` Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2003-07-16  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Now my question is, is this a GTk+ feature? (I haven't seen
> this kind of checkbox ever before...)

This is a standard check button whose label is changed when clicked,
by connecting to the "clicked" signal. Nothing fancy :-)

Arno

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-16  9:07 ` Juha Korkiakangas
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Juha Korkiakangas @ 2003-07-16  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:19:52 +0200, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

> Ada Core Technologies and ACT Europe are pleased to announce the first
> public release of GPS, the GNAT Programming System IDE, for the GNU/Linux,
> Solaris and Windows platforms.
>
> Designed by programmers for programmers, the GPS IDE integrates the GNAT
> Ada 95 tools within a single visual development environment. GPS is Free
> Software. This version is intended for use in academic and Free Software
> projects.
>
> GPS is available at http://libre.act-europe.com/gps
I installed this in my RH 9-box and I think it broke it. After
reboot all my fonts was gone and system unusable. I made default
install with install in /usr and maybe wrote over something.
Anyway, reinstall pango-packages fixed this
Anybody else with this?

juha

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-16  9:20   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juha Korkiakangas wrote:
> I installed this in my RH 9-box and I think it broke it. After
> reboot all my fonts was gone and system unusable. I made default
> install with install in /usr and maybe wrote over something.

Lesson: Use /usr/local for the things that you install yourself and
which does not come in a RPM package.

What happened was that gps installed the gtk libraries over your
libraries (most likely).

--
Ada95 is good for you.
http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/IntroducingAda.php

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-16  9:33     ` Juha Korkiakangas
From: Juha Korkiakangas @ 2003-07-16  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:20:04 +0000, Preben Randhol wrote:

> Juha Korkiakangas wrote:
>> I installed this in my RH 9-box and I think it broke it. After
>> reboot all my fonts was gone and system unusable. I made default
>> install with install in /usr and maybe wrote over something.
>
> Lesson: Use /usr/local for the things that you install yourself and
> which does not come in a RPM package.
>
> What happened was that gps installed the gtk libraries over your
> libraries (most likely).

Yes, my mistake. But as I wrote, gps wrote over my pango-libs. Gps lives
now in /opt and it seems very happy :)

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-16 23:38 ` Marin David Condic
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-07-16 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Congratulations. It looks really spiffy. A major step forward for Ada
programming.

I seem to have had problems with project files - partly by having GPS
apparently remember or modify things I didn't want. (Hard to describe
reproducible circumstances - except it kept wanting to insist on a
"default" project until I shot the project file in the head and started
over.) One thing that *did* seem to be a reproducible problem was that
it kept complaining about a "Pretty_Printer" package name in the project
file when attempting to recompile some main program - until I totally
eliminated it and shot the original file in the head and rebuilt the
project file under a different name. Is the Windows Registry thing
somehow involved?

Despite these startup problems, it looks like a really cool thing. A
really large step in getting a development environment for Ada that is
competitive with those available for C/C++/Java. It exceeds other
environments in many ways. Y'all should be very proud of the product.

I'd like to see it integrated with a GUI builder such as GtkAda - is
that in the works?

MDC

Arnaud Charlet wrote:
> Ada Core Technologies and ACT Europe are pleased to announce the first
> public release of GPS, the GNAT Programming System IDE, for the GNU/Linux,
> Solaris and Windows platforms.
>
> Designed by programmers for programmers, the GPS IDE integrates the GNAT
> Ada 95 tools within a single visual development environment. GPS is Free
> Software. This version is intended for use in academic and Free Software
> projects.
>
> GPS is available at http://libre.act-europe.com/gps

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "In general the art of government consists in taking as
     much money as possible from one class of citizens to give
     to the other."

         --  Voltaire

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-16 23:49     ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2003-07-16 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arno,

I noticed that gps source instructions seem to indicate that it will
not build with the gcc 3.x version of gnat.  is that correct, or is it
just not supported yet??  I would like to build it for os x, but we
don't have any of the gnat 3.x versions of the compiler.

thanks jim

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-16 23:57   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-07-16 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

BTW: It looks like y'all may have missed a great marketing opportunity:
If creating a project were to *by*default* include whatever GNAT
specific libraries were available, it would encourage development with
the GNAT libraries. If it were me, I'd get a release out right away that
did this so people would start building more Ada code hooked into GNAT
specific code - but that's just my entrepreneurial zeal talking. :-)

MDC

@ 2003-07-17  0:10   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-07-17  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-07-17  9:19       ` Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2003-07-17  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's very nice to see all these answers and excitement about GPS.

May I suggest that people having specific questions on how to build or use
GPS go to http://libre.act-europe.fr/gps and subscribe to either of the
two existing mailing list dedicated to that purpose ?

As for your specific question, Jim, building with gcc 3.x version of
GNAT may work, if you have a 3.x recent enough, which is not the case
with e.g. GNAT 3.2 as built and shipped by Redhat, which is why this
approach is not recommended nor suggested.

Arno

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-17 10:41       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-17 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

jim hopper wrote:

> Arno,
>
> I noticed that gps source instructions seem to indicate that it will
> not build with the gcc 3.x version of gnat.

Where does it say that? I don't see it in INSTALL file. Just try with
gcc-3.3. I will try later as I have now changed from 3.14p to 3.3
(mainly because 3.14p cannot compile gps)

--

@ 2003-07-17 18:38         ` achrist
From: achrist @ 2003-07-17 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Where does it say that? I don't see it in INSTALL file.

Where is INSTALL file?  I downloaded the windows exe, and I can't
find one word about how to install or set-up this thing at all.

GPS doesn't work.  GPS gives me an error message about not being able
to create a %USERPROFILE%\.gps directory, but when I grep the
entire install directory for  USERPROFILE, I don't find a thing
(except 2 dll's and an exe that contain the string).

Al

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-17 21:08           ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-17 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

achrist@easystreet.com wrote:
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>>
>> Where does it say that? I don't see it in INSTALL file.
>
> Where is INSTALL file?  I downloaded the windows exe, and I can't
> find one word about how to install or set-up this thing at all.

I was refering to the source distribution as I thought it was a
discussion about compiling gps.

> GPS doesn't work.  GPS gives me an error message about not being able
> to create a %USERPROFILE%\.gps directory, but when I grep the
> entire install directory for  USERPROFILE, I don't find a thing
> (except 2 dll's and an exe that contain the string).

Which Windows version?

--

@ 2003-07-17 23:50         ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2003-07-17 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arno,
thanks for the answer.  The mac version is based upon Apples update to
gcc 3.2 which has a lot of fixes to it, and our update to the ada code.
Andrew and Alan Reynolds have done a lot of work on the compile to make
it work well with mac and fixed a number of bugs.  A couple of
companies have now ported ada products to mac using it, and i am using
it with our companies line of radar sims and it works great, so while
there are some things we would like to get fixed (like zero cost
exceptions for mac) we are pretty happy with how well it works.

thanks jim

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0307171117050.5787-100000@aix.act-europe.fr>,

@ 2003-07-18  8:53             ` achrist
From: achrist @ 2003-07-18  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Which Windows version?

NT4 SP6a.

Al

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-18 14:28             ` Micha� Morawski
From: Micha� Morawski @ 2003-07-18 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

You need to set enviroment variable gps_home

## Micha� Morawski
## 95-200 Pabianice, Sempo�owskiej 5 m 13
## tel/fax ++48 42 2262228
Powaga to tajemnicza postawa cia�a ukrywaj�ca defekty umys�u
        Engels

@ 2003-07-19 23:11               ` Bill Hanna
From: Bill Hanna @ 2003-07-19 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Micha� Morawski" <morawski@zsk.p.lodz.pl> wrote in message news:<bf9090$69c$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl>...
> You need to set enviroment variable gps_home
>
> --
>
> ############################################
> ## Micha� Morawski
> ## 95-200 Pabianice, Sempo�owskiej 5 m 13
> ## tel/fax ++48 42 2262228
> ############################################
> Powaga to tajemnicza postawa cia�a ukrywaj�ca defekty umys�u
>         Engels
>
> "Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> > achrist@easystreet.com wrote:

> > > Where is INSTALL file?  I downloaded the windows exe, and I can't
> > > find one word about how to install or set-up this thing at all.
> >
> > I was refering to the source distribution as I thought it was a
> > discussion about compiling gps.
> >
> > > GPS doesn't work.  GPS gives me an error message about not being able
> > > to create a %USERPROFILE%\.gps directory, but when I grep the
> > > entire install directory for  USERPROFILE, I don't find a thing
> > > (except 2 dll's and an exe that contain the string).
> >
> > Which Windows version?
> >
> > --
> > Ada95 is good for you.
> > http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/IntroducingAda.php

    I have installed GPS on a Windows XP Home OS. I have not set any
new environmental variables.

    What value do I set for the environmental variable?

    Do I set GPS = GPS_HOME?

    But what is GPS_HOME?

    A note on the GPS website stated to add prefix\bin to the GNAT
path.

    Thanks for your help,
Bill Hanna

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-20  0:18   ` Fionn mac Cuimhaill
From: Fionn mac Cuimhaill @ 2003-07-20  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:38:51 -0400, Marin David Condic
<nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

... snip ...
>I'd like to see it integrated with a GUI builder such as GtkAda - is
>that in the works?
>
>MDC

I would like to see GUI builder support added in such away that GUI
builders could be put in as some kind of loadable module, so that
there could be a choice of several.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-20 10:52     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-07-20 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

That would be nice, but may not be practical. Not all GUI builders work
the same & if you wanted a tightly integrated product (something where
the GUI builder isn't just fired off as a separate process - what's the
point? I could have done that without GPS.) it probably wouldn't be
possible without picking which (of a very few available anyway) GUI
builder to support.

GtkAda uses an XML based "database" that ought to be integrated into the
  GPS "project". It also uses some code generation directories for
preserving hand-mods and such that would need to be considered as to how
to integrate it. You'd want GPS to display and access all the different
window components one might build much as it already does access Ada
packages. If you don't get this sort of tight integration, you might
just as well not bother. You can always get some other product, run it
stand-alone and manage the artifacts yourself. I'd think that for GPS to
try to leave the door open for any/all other possible GUI builders, it
would have to reduce itself to simply invoking some subprocess. What's
the point of that? I could already double-click on an icon on my desktop
- moving it to an icon in GPS doesn't help much.

Its a standard problem in engineering. Either you try to stay general
enough that all the options are open - in which case, you don't do much
- or you bite the bullet, get to a specific implementation and run with
it, thus closing off other options.

MDC

Fionn mac Cuimhaill wrote:

> I would like to see GUI builder support added in such away that GUI
> builders could be put in as some kind of loadable module, so that
> there could be a choice of several.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "In general the art of government consists in taking as
     much money as possible from one class of citizens to give
     to the other."

         --  Voltaire

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-20 13:18 ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2003-07-20 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Charlet <charlet@gnat.com> wrote:

> public release of GPS, the GNAT Programming System IDE, for the GNU/Linux,

Why is almost everything (GNAT, GtkAda) included in the source-distribution?

There is a call to gtkada-config missing, if you try to build from source
and have gtkada in a more or less non-common directory
(/usr/local/include/gtkada) then gnatmake -Pgps gps.adb fails. I locally
fixed it by inserting `gtkada-config` to builder/src/Makefile.generic.

The better way would be to let configure set the right flags.

Compiled with gcc version 3.4 20030615 (experimental).

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Sollte es Dir gut gehen, mach Dir nichts draus. Das geht vorbei.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-23 15:30 ` isaac buchwald
From: isaac buchwald @ 2003-07-23 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

nice looking - but it seems that the directory path of a project and other
files doesn't like blanks  under windows2000 prof .
i was unable to debug  a project on such a dir. path.  Is that really so ?
 regards,
  isaac

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-23 15:55   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-07-23 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

isaac buchwald <isaac.buchwald@velenje.cx> wrote:
: nice looking - but it seems that the directory path of a project and other
: files doesn't like blanks  under windows2000 prof .
: i was unable to debug  a project on such a dir. path.  Is that really so ?

Plausible. I seem to recall that project names must be
somewhat like an Ada identifier, which is what the help
windows in the project dialogue have told me.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
@ 2003-07-23 17:50   ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-07-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

isaac buchwald wrote:
> nice looking - but it seems that the directory path of a project and other
> files doesn't like blanks  under windows2000 prof .
> i was unable to debug  a project on such a dir. path.  Is that really so ?

I hope not. Both UNIX and Windows have permitted blanks in
file and directory names for many years, and it would be a
shame if a new showcase Ada project was not written to handle
this correctly.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-23 18:24 ` Michal Morawski
From: Michal Morawski @ 2003-07-23 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oooops

I have found a bug!!!

When I have opened some adb file and I have written spme polish texts in the
comment the GPS hangs up!

Polish texts means texys with polish diacritic letter.

As I remember I discovered similar error in GTK in the first version of GVD.

Michal Morawski