From: ferrariv65@gmail.com
Subject: Why are Ada libraries so poor and disorganized?
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 02:59:31 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2013-03-03T02:59:31-08:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

Ada is VERY nice, as language, but let's face it: when it comes to libraries...
Apart from the standard set of libraries (AWS, etc), there is not much else worth mentioning.
The list of available libraries at AdaPower [1] is far from being a satisfactory toolkit. Many of the listed libraries have an amateurish look, as well as being old and unmaintained. The webpage itself, which comes up as the first result when searching for "Ada libraries" with Google, is very old (look at the copyright) and shabby. I have seen better maintained webpages for toy languages. What's even more embarrassing, is that not only the webpage that came up with this first Google result is so bad, but this is about the only search result that contains useful libraries!

Honestly, if one were to judge the language from its available libraries (again: apart from the core set of libraries), the impression would be that Ada is a hobby language. When in fact it is all the opposite!
Sure, the Ada community is not as vital as the Python community, or that of other languages, but the overall situation of the libraries is really disappointing for a major language like Ada.

I may be mistaken, but it seems that all the efforts about Ada maintenance go into the language itself and in the IDE, with little consideration for the libraries. As is users were left to struggle on their own...

With all the millions of dollars that are involved in Ada projects, and the several companies and organizations involved, I am surprised that some effort has not yet been made to give Ada a more decent library kit.

I do hope you will realize that this is not a pointless rant, and that the situation must be faced.

I believe the survival of the language is at stake here, and the pressing need for a decent library toolkit should be a serious concern for all Ada programmers. Unless you take the defeatist view that "Well, Ada is dying anyway, so, what's the point of putting so much effort in to it?", which certainly I don't take.

A concerned Ada user

[1] http://www.adapower.com/index.php?Command=Class&ClassID=AdaLibs&Title=Ada+Libraries