* ANN: AdaYaml 0.1.0 (initial release)
@ 2017-08-17  8:48 Felix Krause
From: Felix Krause @ 2017-08-17  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am happy to announce the first release of AdaYaml, an experimental
YAML implementation in Ada 2012.

This release is made in the spirit of „release early, release often“.
It is still rough around the edges, features are still missing, and the
API is far from stable. However, I make this release in the hope to get
feedback about the general API design and usability.

The background of this library is that I am part of a working group
designing YAML 1.3 and wrote this implementation to test proposed
changes to YAML 1.2. This means that AdaYaml does not conform to the
YAML 1.2 spec, since it already implements some of the proposed
changes. However, all of these concern edge cases and I am pretty
confident that a common YAML 1.2 document will parse propertly with
AdaYaml.

More background and (currently sparse) documentation is available on
the library's website [1], the release is available as tag of the
GitHub repository [2].

 [1]: https://ada.yaml.io
 [2]: https://github.com/yaml/AdaYaml/tags

--
Regards,
Felix Krause

* Re: ANN: AdaYaml 0.1.0 (initial release)
@ 2017-08-17 18:25 ` Shark8
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shark8 @ 2017-08-17 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nice.

* Re: ANN: AdaYaml 0.1.0 (initial release)
@ 2017-08-18 16:40 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2017-08-18 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Krause <contact@flyx.org> writes:

> I am happy to announce the first release of AdaYaml, an experimental
> YAML implementation in Ada 2012.

Thanks for the effort.

> This release is made in the spirit of „release early, release
> often“. It is still rough around the edges, features are still
> missing, and the API is far from stable. However, I make this release
> in the hope to get feedback about the general API design and
> usability.

I may need a YAML reader for a work project starting next week, so your
timing is excellent. :-)

Greetings,

Jacob
--
A password should be like a toothbrush. Use it every day;
change it regularly; and DON'T share it with friends.

* Re: ANN: AdaYaml 0.1.0 (initial release)
@ 2017-08-19 15:28 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-08-19 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just had a brief look at this. I disagree with having Text outside of the Yaml package namespace, it might not be part of the spec, but it is part of the API/project so should be inside as Yaml.Text. Also, if there exists another package called Text somewhere, you will be inflicting naming collisions.

* Re: ANN: AdaYaml 0.1.0 (initial release)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-08-19 15:29 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-08-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI, glad someone is working on some modern libs like this, ta :)

* Re: ANN: AdaYaml 0.1.0 (initial release)
@ 2017-08-20 14:57   ` Felix Krause
From: Felix Krause @ 2017-08-20 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-08-19 15:28:37 +0000, Lucretia said:

> Just had a brief look at this. I disagree with having Text outside of
> the Yaml package namespace, it might not be part of the spec, but it is
> part of the API/project so should be inside as Yaml.Text. Also, if
> there exists another package called Text somewhere, you will be
> inflicting naming collisions.

Well, I thought about moving the Text stuff into a separate,
independent project because I might want to use it somewhere else. For
now, it exists as part of AdaYaml, but in the Text package. I also like
having the Event type inside of the base Yaml package, which would not
be possible if I moved Text to Yaml.Text because Event depends on Text.
This is what made me believe Text is a very basic thing and should be
separate from Yaml.

I am not aware of any publicly available libraries using Text as
package name, but it does seem like a name that may lead to a
collision. I might reconsider the package structure, but as soon as I
start using the Text stuff elsewhere, I need to place it in a separate
base package anyway. Perhaps I can come up with a better name to avoid
collisions.

--
Regards,
Felix Krause