* New paper book: Ada on ARM Cortex-M
@ 2015-06-13 21:08 Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2015-06-13 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am pleased to report that the tutorial titled "Ada on ARM Cortex-M", which was announced here in its early stages, evolved and finally became a regular printed book:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/maciej-sobczak/ada-and-spark-on-arm-cortex-m/paperback/product-22195745.html

The complete book content is still available on-line here:

http://inspirel.com/articles/Ada_On_Cortex.html

Regards,

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: New paper book: Ada on ARM Cortex-M
@ 2015-06-15 12:55 ` halfmaddad
From: halfmaddad @ 2015-06-15 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Maciej

I have not finished reading your book yet but I would like to thank you for writing it.

I will try to buy the paid version when I can to sponsor your work..

This is a very difficult topic and it's great to have this resource-Patrick

* Re: New paper book: Ada on ARM Cortex-M
@ 2015-06-25 13:04 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-06-25 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com> writes:

> I am pleased to report that the tutorial titled "Ada on ARM Cortex-M",
> which was announced here in its early stages, evolved and finally
> became a regular printed book:
>
> http://www.lulu.com/shop/maciej-sobczak/ada-and-spark-on-arm-cortex-m/paperback/product-22195745.html

Just got my copy; thanks for the work!

* Re: New paper book: Ada on ARM Cortex-M
@ 2015-06-25 23:54   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2015-06-25 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/25/2015 6:04 AM, Simon Wright wrote:
> Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am pleased to report that the tutorial titled "Ada on ARM Cortex-M",
>> which was announced here in its early stages, evolved and finally
>> became a regular printed book:
>>
>> http://www.lulu.com/shop/maciej-sobczak/ada-and-spark-on-arm-cortex-m/paperback/product-22195745.html
>
> Just got my copy; thanks for the work!

Just got my copy too. Nice work. I am having a lot of fun getting GNAT
Ada running on a lot of ARM boards, creating support for the ARM on-chip
peripherals and creating drivers for common external sensors, displays,
etc.  It is great that others are seeing the power of Ada on these
powerful platforms.  I am not that happy with the 2015 GNAT ARM release
- it doesn't seem to work correctly, doesn't have some of the support it
promises and has changed a lot from the initial release making a lot of
work for me to port what I have already done.  I think I will mostly
stick with the 2014 release for now.

Jerry

* Re: New paper book: Ada on ARM Cortex-M
@ 2015-06-26 10:12     ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2015-06-26 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

W dniu piątek, 26 czerwca 2015 01:54:33 UTC+2 użytkownik Jerry napisał:

> > Just got my copy; thanks for the work!
>
> Just got my copy too. Nice work.

Thank you for the encouragement! :-)

> I am not that happy with the 2015 GNAT ARM release
> - it doesn't seem to work correctly,

Note that there is still an option of compiling natively on RaspberryPi (or whatever similar), where GNAT FSF version Just Works (tm). I have also noticed that GPL releases from AdaCore are not always satisfactory and it is good to remember that this is not the only available option.

In any case, let me know if you find anything that is obviously missing from the book, so that it can be corrected in future revisions.

--

@ 2015-06-26 11:57     ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2015-06-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26.06.15 01:54, Jerry Petrey wrote:
> On 6/25/2015 6:04 AM, Simon Wright wrote:
>> Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I am pleased to report that the tutorial titled "Ada on ARM Cortex-M",
>>> which was announced here in its early stages, evolved and finally
>>> became a regular printed book:
>>>
>>> http://www.lulu.com/shop/maciej-sobczak/ada-and-spark-on-arm-cortex-m/paperback/product-22195745.html
>>>

>> Just got my copy; thanks for the work!
>>

> Just got my copy too. Nice work. I am having a lot of fun getting GNAT
> Ada running on a lot of ARM boards, creating support for the ARM on-chip
> peripherals and creating drivers for common external sensors, displays,
> etc.  It is great that others are seeing the power of Ada on these
> powerful platforms.

An embedded project idea is just spreading in the news channels:

Sense the nearness of a car riding in front of an ARM-equipped
BMW, so that it would automatically trigger the headlight flasher.

* Re: New paper book: Ada on ARM Cortex-M
@ 2015-06-26 12:08       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-06-26 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:57:58 +0200, G.B. wrote:

> Sense the nearness of a car riding in front of an ARM-equipped
> BMW, so that it would automatically trigger the headlight flasher.

AFAIK, the TriCore CPU is a DSP, not ARM. I also do not know if it already
replaced the ME7 generation. If you have one (BMW), it is an easy check, I
guess. (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov