From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: David, have you thought about using an existing editor?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 05:41:41 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2015-01-22T05:41:41-08:00	[thread overview]

> In case you don't like GPS

If you've followed things, for the most part there isn't a dislike of GPS, but rather there are some discussions about things that could be different, etc. since for the Gnoga project (http://gnoga.com) there is a need for an IDE as part of the GUI builder.

GPS heavily uses Python and ASIS. I have little interest in Python programming (I certainly would be more popular and it would be initially much more profitable writing Gnoga in Python, but I'd like to give Ada a fighting chance for a future beyond a few niche safety critical projects since I enjoy coding in it). Asis is not available for non-license virusing compilers on Windows at the moment, so not an option to use. (Advocacy is about easy of entry cutting out Windows is foolish).

>deserves some recognition and support.

Try first and investigate use, licensing and _proprietary_ layers first, then get back to us ;)

He is also not been very responsive to e-mails, could be language barriers. Certainly he has some nice bindings that if they didn't have proprietary sections and the others parts were under GMGPL, etc. would be interesting to build on.

> There was also another guy from the USAF (that USAF)

Martin's AdaGIDE is a simple old style code editor for Win32, not maintained and very specific to Windows. It is still useful for some if they work only on Windows.

David Botton