From: Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:55:12 +0200
Date: 2003-07-03T13:55:12+02:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic wrote:

>Still, I think that expecting 100 years of life out of a rocket program
>is expecting a bit much.

The article talked about "embedded systems written in Ada" here, not
about a rocket program in general.

Suppose, someone writes an embedded system in Ada for something like
the "Voyager" thingie (BTW, where is it now, I think it left the solar
system some years ago?), it still should run in a hundred years... :)

I don't think this is too far stretched.

>I think Hyman was trying to observe that the
>writer had forgotten that we are already in "the next century" that he
>was thinking of. ;-)

Well, I don't think he did that mistake. Ten years would be a way too
short life-expectancy for an embedded system, especially in the area
he was talking about. And he didn't say, "the next millenium". ;)

Damn, if I think about it, the system I am still working with must be
getting around twenty in less than two years. I still went to school
and haven't even seriously used a computer when the first prototype
was built. And this thing isn't even in space business.

Vinzent.

--
Parents strongly cautioned  --  this  posting  is  intended for mature
audiences  over  18.  It  may  contain some material that many parents