* Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-06-13 13:25 Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2003-06-13 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

The belatedly received May 2003 issue of COTS Journal has a very nice
article about Ada, specifically its use in embedded systems.  They
cite the Atlas V and JSOW, and note that Ada business continues to
grow.

This particular issue is _not_ yet online at
http://www.cotsjournalonline.com, but considering that I just got the
issue (in mid-June), it appears they're running behind and it should
show up eventually.

Marc A. Criley

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-06-13 13:46 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2003-06-13 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:

> The belatedly received May 2003 issue of COTS Journal has a very nice
> article about Ada, specifically its use in embedded systems.  They
> cite the Atlas V and JSOW, and note that Ada business continues to
> grow.
>
> This particular issue is _not_ yet online at
> http://www.cotsjournalonline.com, but considering that I just got the
> issue (in mid-June), it appears they're running behind and it should
> show up eventually.

Could you post again when it does show up?

thanks,

dale

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-02 14:54   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2003-07-02 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Stanbrough <dstanbro@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<dstanbro-86488B.23461413062003@mec2.bigpond.net.au>...
> Marc A. Criley wrote:
>
> > The belatedly received May 2003 issue of COTS Journal has a very nice
> > article about Ada, specifically its use in embedded systems.  They
> > cite the Atlas V and JSOW, and note that Ada business continues to
> > grow.
> >
> > This particular issue is _not_ yet online at
> > http://www.cotsjournalonline.com, but considering that I just got the
> > issue (in mid-June), it appears they're running behind and it should
> > show up eventually.
>

> Could you post again when it does show up?

It's now there:  http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/2003/05/

Marc

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-02 16:13     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-07-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:
> It's now there:  http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/2003/05/

I like this quote from the article:
     "The DoD maintains an enormous investment in Ada, and
      major safety-critical embedded systems written in Ada
      like those in the Atlas will be in service well into
      the next century."

It's good to know that the Atlas rocket will still be flying
a hundred years from now!

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-02 17:51       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-07-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>      "The DoD maintains an enormous investment in Ada, and
>       major safety-critical embedded systems written in Ada
>       like those in the Atlas will be in service well into
>       the next century."
> It's good to know that the Atlas rocket will still be flying
> a hundred years from now!
  You seem to have missed the word "like".

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
       [not found] <mailman.3.1057169839.328.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
@ 2003-07-02 19:48 ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-07-02 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos wrote:
> The article says that _embedded systems_ will be in service
> well into the next century

It says embedded systems written in Ada. It's still quite a
stretch to believe that embedded systems written in Ada will
be in use over a hundred years from now ("well into the next
century"). I'm more inclined to believe that the article was
written some time in the late 1990s.

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-02 21:11   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-07-02 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1057175299.181013@master.nyc.kbcfp.com>, Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:

> It says embedded systems written in Ada. It's still quite a
> stretch to believe that embedded systems written in Ada will
> be in use over a hundred years from now ("well into the next
> century").

It is analysis like yours that brought us the Y2K mess :-)

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-02 22:00     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-07-02 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> It is analysis like yours that brought us the Y2K mess :-)

Well, considering that Ada.Calendar.Year_Number only goes to 2099,
I think I'm on pretty safe ground :-)

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-03  9:26       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-03  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> Marc A. Criley wrote:
>> It's now there:  http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/2003/05/
>
> I like this quote from the article:
>      "The DoD maintains an enormous investment in Ada, and
>       major safety-critical embedded systems written in Ada
>       like those in the Atlas will be in service well into
>       the next century."
>
> It's good to know that the Atlas rocket will still be flying
> a hundred years from now!

It doesn't say that as far as I understand it. But English is not my
mother tongue. :-)

Preben
--
�I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet.
 So who am I to judge.�

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-03  9:31       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>> It is analysis like yours that brought us the Y2K mess :-)
>
> Well, considering that Ada.Calendar.Year_Number only goes to 2099,

Oh isn't it 2039 ?

> I think I'm on pretty safe ground :-)

Yes, because nothing will happen in the mean time. But I guess it is
more likely that there *isn't* a human inhabitated world in the next
century due to major catastrophies originating from C++ code.

Preben who is starting to get tired of the Ada bashing quarreling
somebody seem intent to create at any opertunity.

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-03  9:42       ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-07-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

>Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>> It is analysis like yours that brought us the Y2K mess :-)
>
>Well, considering that Ada.Calendar.Year_Number only goes to 2099,
>I think I'm on pretty safe ground :-)

Good point. :)

And I still wait for time_t to become 64 bit on embedded systems. Just
in case it should be in service after 2038. ;)

Vinzent.

From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-07-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

>century"). I'm more inclined to believe that the article was
>written some time in the late 1990s.

Are we talking about the same article that says "21st century Ada" in
its headline and "On August 12, 2002, the past and future of the Ada
programming language..." in the first sentence?

Vinzent.

From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-07-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

>Marc A. Criley wrote:
>> It's now there:  http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/2003/05/
>
>I like this quote from the article:
>     "The DoD maintains an enormous investment in Ada, and
>      major safety-critical embedded systems written in Ada
>      like those in the Atlas will be in service well into
>      the next century."
>
>It's good to know that the Atlas rocket will still be flying
>a hundred years from now!

As others pointed out, this isn't what the quote says. And given a
quite normal life-time-expectancy of embedded systems of 30 or even
more years, even a "will be in service in a hundred years from now"
doesn't sound very spectacular.

After all, people still use COBOL, don't they? ;)

Vinzent.

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-03 10:13       ` Rodrigo Garcia
From: Rodrigo Garcia @ 2003-07-03 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Hyman Rosen" <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote in message
> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> > It is analysis like yours that brought us the Y2K mess :-)
>
> Well, considering that Ada.Calendar.Year_Number only goes to 2099,
> I think I'm on pretty safe ground :-)

Hehehe, nice one Hyman! But I would use Ravenscar for embedded systems, so
"No_Calendar"  ;-)

I also think they were refering to "this" century.

Rodrigo

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-03 11:36         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-07-03 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe the B52 bomber first flew in 1947 (?) It has reinvented itself
a number of times and is now being flown by the grandkids of the first
pilots.

Still, I think that expecting 100 years of life out of a rocket program
is expecting a bit much. I think Hyman was trying to observe that the
writer had forgotten that we are already in "the next century" that he
was thinking of. ;-)

MDC

Vinzent Hoefler wrote:

> As others pointed out, this isn't what the quote says. And given a
> quite normal life-time-expectancy of embedded systems of 30 or even
> more years, even a "will be in service in a hundred years from now"
> doesn't sound very spectacular.
>
> After all, people still use COBOL, don't they? ;)
>

> Vinzent.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "In general the art of government consists in taking as
     much money as possible from one class of citizens to give
     to the other."

         --  Voltaire

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-03 11:55           ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-07-03 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

>Still, I think that expecting 100 years of life out of a rocket program
>is expecting a bit much.

The article talked about "embedded systems written in Ada" here, not
about a rocket program in general.

Suppose, someone writes an embedded system in Ada for something like
the "Voyager" thingie (BTW, where is it now, I think it left the solar
system some years ago?), it still should run in a hundred years... :)

I don't think this is too far stretched.

>I think Hyman was trying to observe that the
>writer had forgotten that we are already in "the next century" that he
>was thinking of. ;-)

Well, I don't think he did that mistake. Ten years would be a way too
short life-expectancy for an embedded system, especially in the area
he was talking about. And he didn't say, "the next millenium". ;)

Damn, if I think about it, the system I am still working with must be
getting around twenty in less than two years. I still went to school
and haven't even seriously used a computer when the first prototype
was built. And this thing isn't even in space business.

Vinzent.

--
Parents strongly cautioned  --  this  posting  is  intended for mature
audiences  over  18.  It  may  contain some material that many parents

* Re: Ada Article in "COTS Journal"
@ 2003-07-03 14:50           ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-07-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually, no, it isn't.

Recall that John Glenn rode an Atlas booster into space in 1962, and it was
an operational ICBM, that had been impressed into service for manned
spaceflight at the time.  That's AT LEAST 41 years of operational service,
not counting how long it was an ICBM first.  The Saturn I was the first
booster designed from the ground up for manned flight to orbit.  (I believe
Redstone was purpose-designed for the manned suborbital flights.)