From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: QtAda 3.1 Debian
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 04:26:30 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2009-12-21T04:26:30-08:00	[thread overview]

On Dec 21, 1:09 pm, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...@stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> Stefan Soos <stefan.s...@gmx.de> writes:
> >> I'm thinking about packaging gprbuild for the next release of Debian;
> >> this post gives me more incentive. Feel free to bug me about it later
> >> :).
>
> > That would be cool. This way one wouldn't have different versions of
> > gnat installed.
>
> I'm working on it. And today is a snow day (near Washington DC), so
> I'll work on it some more :).
>
> > As I read the wiki, did I understand it correctly that the guys at libre
> > are developing gnat pro, this development is than incorporated into gnat
> > gpl and gnat gpl becomes gnat gcc?
>
> Roughly, yes. I suspect things flow in other directions as well.

I'd like to correct that.  AFAIU, GNAT Pro and GNAT GPL are from the
same branch of development at AdaCore.  They periodically merge this
branch into GCC at the FSF, during Stage 1 only.  GNAT Pro, GNAT GPL
and GCC have independent release schedules.  GNAT Pro and GNAT GPL are
snapshots of the AdaCore branch (+ extra QA and bug fixing) at
different times.  GCC is a snapshot of the GCC release branch at the
FSF.  More details in the Debian Policy for Ada:
http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html.

--
Ludovic Brenta.