* GPL-only code with GPL GNAT?
@ 2009-07-29 10:54 vlc
From: vlc @ 2009-07-29 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi *,

I read in another thread that it would be only allowed to write GPL
code with GNAT. I also remember to have read something like this on
AdaCore's web site for the GPS - GPL version.

I always thought that the GNAT was based on gcc (at least gnatmake is
calling gcc on my PC). With gcc, I can write closed source code, it is
even allowed to link CSS with glibc - there is an extra exception from
the LGPL for glibc made by the FSF.

Does this not hold true with GNAT? And where is the limitation? In the
compiler or in the libraries? I cannot imagine that the GPL puts
restrictions on the compiled code based on the compiler. Maybe the
libraries are dual-licensed under GPL (which allows only linking
against GPL'ed code) and a proprietary license one has to buy?

Thanks a lot for any clearification!

* Re: GPL-only code with GPL GNAT?
@ 2009-07-29 12:42 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-07-29 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

vlc wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Hi *,
>
> I read in another thread that it would be only allowed to write GPL
> code with GNAT. I also remember to have read something like this on
> AdaCore's web site for the GPS - GPL version.
>
> I always thought that the GNAT was based on gcc (at least gnatmake is
> calling gcc on my PC). With gcc, I can write closed source code, it is
> even allowed to link CSS with glibc - there is an extra exception from
> the LGPL for glibc made by the FSF.
>
> Does this not hold true with GNAT? And where is the limitation? In the
> compiler or in the libraries? I cannot imagine that the GPL puts
> restrictions on the compiled code based on the compiler. Maybe the
> libraries are dual-licensed under GPL (which allows only linking
> against GPL'ed code) and a proprietary license one has to buy?
>
> Thanks a lot for any clearification!

Read it here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing#GNAT.2C_the_GNU_Ada_Compiler_from_AdaCore_and_the_Free_Software_Foundation

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GPL-only code with GPL GNAT?
@ 2009-07-29 13:45 ` Yannick Duchêne Hibou57
From: Yannick Duchêne Hibou57 @ 2009-07-29 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 juil, 12:54, vlc <just.another.spam.acco...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I read in another thread that it would be only allowed to write GPL
> code with GNAT. [...]

> Does this not hold true with GNAT? And where is the limitation? In the
> compiler or in the libraries [...]

Ludovic gave you a good link, and to go further, if I guess which
thread you are talking about, then just read it very carefuly, to
learn more about what the article pointed by Ludovic means when it
says “ [...] depending on where you obtain it from. ”. This “
depending on where you obtain it from ” is very important. In any
case, if you have any doubt, read carefuly the licence header which
you must find in *each files* of the compiler distribution you are
using to compile your final application. To be honest, saying “
depending on where you obtain it from ” also implies that there may be
some differences, like divergences in updates, and so on (a differente
source, may means a different thing)

What are you working on actually ? (if I'm not too much intrusive)

* Re: GPL-only code with GPL GNAT?
@ 2009-07-29 16:59   ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2009-07-29 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<012a50c0-ba0e-4af3-9f69-a31b1d592916@h11g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing#
GNAT.2C_the_GNU_Ada_Compiler_from_AdaCore_and_the_Free_Software_Foundation>

An excellent guide! I note that the "GNAT for Macintosh" project [1],
which traditionally distributes FSF-derived compilers, now includes an
AdaCore GPL edition. I have update the MacAda link on the WikiBooks entry;
it should be available after review.

[1] <http://www.macada.org/>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

* Re: GPL-only code with GPL GNAT?
@ 2009-07-29 21:09   ` vlc
From: vlc @ 2009-07-29 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 29, 3:45 pm, Yannick Duchêne Hibou57 <yannick_duch...@yahoo.fr>
wrote:

> What are you working on actually ? (if I'm not too much intrusive)

I'm working in embedded software engineering, but currently only in C.
As I learned to dislike C in the past years, I was looking for
something more reliable and found Ada. One month ago I started
learning Ada and find it very interesting. But currently it's only a
hobby.

My question about the licensing of Ada was therefore only because of
curiosity.

Thanks a lot for your answers!