* OpenGl & Ada
@ 1996-12-16  0:00 Louis Granger
From: Louis Granger @ 1996-12-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone aware of a binding for OpenGl in Ada

* Re: OpenGl & Ada
@ 1996-12-17  0:00 ` Chip Richards
From: Chip Richards @ 1996-12-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <593p35$111a@service.polymtl.ca>,
	louis.granger@mail.polymtl.ca (Louis Granger) writes:

   Anyone aware of a binding for OpenGl in Ada

Yes, SGI has made one, but the availability of it is a question I still have.
I believe that they make it available to their customers; at least, a year and
a half ago, they were intending to do so.  I've heard nothing about it since
then.  Tom Quiggle, an SGI employee who has been *very* helpful on the
subject, seemed as mystified as anyone about the company's policy and intent
for their binding.  He suggested that I steer OpenGL + Ada questions his way,
so feel free to write "quiggle@sgi.com" and ask.  If Tom is still there, I'm
sure he'll let you know what's up.

In fact, I think *I* might do that, too! <grin>  I'll summarize his response
to the group.

--
Chip

* Re: OpenGl & Ada
@ 1996-12-20  0:00 ` Wes Embry
From: Wes Embry @ 1996-12-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Louis Granger wrote:

> Anyone aware of a binding for OpenGl in Ada

Yes, we are aware of several bindings including the one being submitted
to the OpenGl Standards Group for approval. We are currently creating
a web site for information like this. Should be ready by the first of
the year, and you will be able to download these bindings and others.
I'll post when its ready to use.

--

--  Wes Embry                 22-174            wes@engr.sgi.com
--  Silicon Graphics, Inc.                      Off:(415) 933-1563

* Re: OpenGl & Ada
@ 1996-12-21  0:00 ` Chip Richards
From: Chip Richards @ 1996-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <32BAD790.41C6@tryada.engr.sgi.com>,
	Wes Embry <wes@tryada.engr.sgi.com> writes:
   Louis Granger wrote:

   > Anyone aware of a binding for OpenGl in Ada

   Yes, we are aware of several bindings including the one being submitted
   to the OpenGl Standards Group for approval. We are currently creating
   a web site for information like this. Should be ready by the first of
   the year, and you will be able to download these bindings and others.
   I'll post when its ready to use.

Thanks for the update, Wes.  This is great news--certainly far more definite,
and promising, news than Tom Quiggle or Paula Womack had last year.  Tom was
very much in the dark about the future plans for Ada bindings to the OpenGL
library.

Will there be bindings to GLUT, also, or should I update my own private 2.x
bindings to accomodate version 3?

--
Chip

* OpenGL Ada
@ 2003-06-15 21:02 Robin Neatherway
From: Robin Neatherway @ 2003-06-15 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having learnt Ada fairly recently, I am now interested in doing some
graphics work with it, and I am unable to find an OpenGL binding for Ada or
any other appropriate tool.

So, I guess I have two questions - firstly how should I go about starting to
use graphics with Ada, and secondly where can I get the tools to do it?

Thanks,
Robin

* Re: OpenGL Ada
@ 2003-06-15 21:34 ` David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-06-15 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://adaopengl.sf.net/

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:02:05 +0100
"Robin Neatherway" <rn114@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Having learnt Ada fairly recently, I am now interested in doing some
> graphics work with it, and I am unable to find an OpenGL binding for Ada or
> any other appropriate tool.
>
> So, I guess I have two questions - firstly how should I go about starting to
> use graphics with Ada, and secondly where can I get the tools to do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Robin

* Re: OpenGL Ada
@ 2003-06-15 23:01   ` Bruce or Tracy Jacobs
From: Bruce or Tracy Jacobs @ 2003-06-15 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try this......

<PRE>
1.  Download and install Ada compiler and Windows 32 bit interface for
Windows:

    (a)  ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.15p/winnt/gnat-3.15p-nt.exe

         (installed at "C:\GNAT" for this example)

    (b)  ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.15p/winnt/gnatwin-3.15p.exe

         (installed at "C:\GNAT\bindings" for this example)

2.  Download and install Ada OpenGL interface:

    (a) http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/archive/glut32.tar.gz

        (installed at "C:\GNAT\glut32.jar" for this example)

  Link found at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html under
"GLUT for GNAT NT".
  Be sure to run "make" on the "C:\GNAT\glut32.jar\lib" directory.
Refer
to the "readme"
  file after uncompressing on how to run the "make" command.

3.  (optional) Download and install Ada GNAT Integrated Development
Environment:

     (1)
ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/adagide/adagide-install.exe

4.  Here are the paths which are now used:

    * GNAT compiler (gnat-3.15p-nt.exe) is installed at:

      C:\GNAT

    * GNAT Win32 interface (gantwin-3.15p.exe) is installed at:

      C:\GNAT\bindings\win32ada

    * GNAT glut32 interface (glut32.tar.gz) uncompress and installed at:

      C:\GNAT\glut32.tar

    * copy C:\GNAT\glut32.tar\lib\GLUT32.dll into the SYSTEM32 folder.

    * (optional) AdaGide is intalled into its default installation
folder.

5.  Since I prefer to build executables using BAT files, here is an
example
of the BAT
    file I used to build a DEMO Ada program found in C:
\GNAT\glut32.tar\demos.

    * C:\GNAT\glut32.tar\demos\build_it.bat

      set
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adainclude
      set
ADA_OBJECTS_PATH=C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib
      set ADA_LIBRARY_PATH=C:\GNAT\lib;%ADA_INCLUDE_PATH%

      set WIN32ADA=C:\GNAT\bindings\win32ada
      set
ADA_GLUT32_PATH=C:\GNAT\glut32.tar\lib;C:\GNAT\glut32.tar\include

      set MY_WORKING_DIR=C:\GNAT\glut32.tar\demos

      set
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=%ADA_INCLUDE_PATH%;%WIN32ADA%;%ADA_GLUT32_PATH%;%MY_WORKING_DIR%
      set
ADA_OBJECTS_PATH=%ADA_OBJECTS_PATH%;%WIN32ADA%;%ADA_GLUT32_PATH%;%MY_WORKING_DIR%
      set
ADA_LIBRARY_PATH=%ADA_LIBRARY_PATH%;%WIN32ADA%;%ADA_GLUT32_PATH%;%MY_WORKING_DIR%

      set INCLUDES=-I%ADA_INCLUDE_PATH% -I%ADA_OBJECTS_PATH%
-I%ADA_LIBRARY_PATH%
      set OPTS=-O3 -gnatn
      set LINK_ARGS=-largs -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lwinmm -L../lib
-lglu32 -lopengl32 -lglut32

      gnatmake %OPTS% %INCLUDES% ada_sphere %LINK_ARGS%
      gnatmake %OPTS% %INCLUDES% csg %LINK_ARGS%
      gnatmake %OPTS% %INCLUDES% double %LINK_ARGS%

    * Double-clicking "build_it.bat" should build 3 executables which
interface with OpenGL
      performing various OpenGL functions. These paths may be simplified
even further within
      this BAT file, or even defined at the Windows system level, if so
desired.

</PRE>

David Holm wrote:

> http://adaopengl.sf.net/
>
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:02:05 +0100
> "Robin Neatherway" <rn114@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Having learnt Ada fairly recently, I am now interested in doing some
> > graphics work with it, and I am unable to find an OpenGL binding for Ada or
> > any other appropriate tool.
> >
> > So, I guess I have two questions - firstly how should I go about starting to
> > use graphics with Ada, and secondly where can I get the tools to do it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robin

* Re: OpenGL Ada
@ 2003-06-16  7:55 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-16  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robin Neatherway wrote:
> Having learnt Ada fairly recently, I am now interested in doing some
> graphics work with it, and I am unable to find an OpenGL binding for Ada or
> any other appropriate tool.

Depending what you are doing there is also OpenGL capabilities in
GtkAda. => http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/

--
�It's probably worth pointing out that  C's pointer arithmetic  is not
 only dangerous, and a significant source of errors, but it also makes

* Re: OpenGL Ada
@ 2003-06-16 10:13   ` David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-06-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, AdaOpenGL works with GtkAda as well and is more up-to-date.

@ 2003-06-16 10:27     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Holm wrote:
> Hmm, AdaOpenGL works with GtkAda as well and is more up-to-date.

OK. I haven't used the OpenGL stuff. Probably better to use AdaOpenGL.

--

@ 2003-06-16 18:29   ` Robin Neatherway
From: Robin Neatherway @ 2003-06-16 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to have a play with AdaOpenGL, and
I'll come back if I'm too incompetent.