From: Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@d2-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>
Subject: Re: [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:35:35 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2003-06-02T09:35:35+00:00	[thread overview]

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
: Martin Krischik wrote:
:> I take you point. However you are aware that this means that I have to
:> repeat the description with every new anouncement which becomes boring
:> after a while. But if it is ok by the mayority of the readers then I will
:> write a short description and add it to each new anouncement.
:
: If you present the changes first and then include a standard discription
: of the application/library it is OK.

No, please!

 Foo is a <thing> that provides this, and that.

usually fits within a few lines, and is among the most important things
to know about <thing>. Elsewhere, this is called an abstract, or subtitle,
or whatever short introducion there is. Even if you know the story of
the prince of Denmark, you will still be glad to learn from an announcement
that they will play this one of Shakespeare's tonight. Imagine you would
first have to study cast and notes and times and then go to the library
to find out what the heck they will play tonight...

If you know <thing>, you will have no trouble skipping these very few
lines, but if you don't, you have to do a search, as Warren has explained,
and be it somewhere near the end of technical text about changes (to what?)
and so on.

A more striking example: If you need tomatoes and all they offer
in the shop is tins that announce their main contents burried
somewhere between the nutrition facts, this won't be helpful.

-- Georg