From: bbalfour@std.caci.com (Brad Balfour)
Subject: Re: Ada and SQL on a Sparc
Date: 1996/07/31
Date: 1996-07-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <n1373396961.54880@smtp.rc.trw.com>, Bill Hensley
<Bill_Hensley@SMTP.RC.TRW.COM> wrote:

>I'd like to know if GNAT supports a SQL interface, and if there are
>any "gotchas" or war stories.  If there is not too much negative commentary I
>will be able to go to my management and make a strong case to use Ada.

It certainly can be done. The Airfileds project was successful in creating
an MIS application that connected Ada 95 software (compiled with GNAT)
with the Oracle DBMS. (see various issues of the AdaIC newsletter on
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us).

In doing this, they discovered that the Oracle Pro*Ada software is Ada 83
speicifc and compiler specific and will *not* work. What did work,
however, was some marvelous ODBC software from Objective Interface Systems
(OIS) of Reston VA. Their AdaConnect 95 product was used successfully to
talk to Oracle from Ada on a Sun/Sparc running Solaris. One advantage of
using ODBC is that you can change DBMS without modifying the software.

You can contact OIS at:

Objective Interface Systems, Inc.
1892 Preston White Drive
Reston, Virginia 22091
tel:    (703) 264-1900
fax:    (703) 264 1721
email:  info@ois.com
WWW:    http://www.ois.com

--
Brad Balfour                         SIGAda WWW Server
CACI, Inc.                         http://www.acm.org/sigada/