From: Jere <jhb.chat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding GNAT for mingw (32bit)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 14:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-06-28T14:42:46-07:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 8:12:17 AM UTC-4, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 06/28/2018 01:01 PM, Jere wrote:
> > So I recently ran into an issue using the FSF GNAT on 32bit mingw.
> > It ended up having a bug in GNAT.Serial_Communications, which was
> > fixed in later versions of GNAT found in 64 bit mingw.  Unfortunately
> > I can't upgrade to the 64bit version and get a later version of GNAT.
> > The bug fix was only a few lines, so I figured I could make the change
> > to g-sercom.adb in the adainclude directory and hopefully recompile
> > GNAT.  When I looked up instructions for this I found:
>
> It looks to me as if you can change g-sercom.adb and recompile it without
> recompiling GNAT.
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "How'd you like to hide the egg and gurgitate
> a few saucers of mocha java?"
> Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
> 101

That was one of the first things I tried after verifying the fix.
It seems to want to pull the object code from somewhere else.  My
guess is the libgnat.a file.  I even tried compiling with -a to
force it to recompile the runtime libraries, but it only generated
a bunch of .o files and no libgnat.a file (in my project's local
object file directory).  That said, keeping the .o file in my
local directory seemed to work to override the RTS version.  I was
just hoping to make the change more permanent.