From: rod@praxis-cs.co.uk (Rod Chapman)
Subject: Re: Worst Case Execution Time Tool?
Date: 5 Dec 2001 02:00:35 -0800
Date: 2001-12-05T10:00:36+00:00	[thread overview]

StationSteve <Steven.Suchting@computer.org> wrote in message news:<3C0D536C.2E059EE8@computer.org>...
> Are there any tools that quantitatively determine the worst case
> execution time (WCET) of an Ada83 program or subprogram?  Execution
> platform is Intel 80386SX bare machine.  I think I'm looking for
> something similar to SPARK Examiner's WCET analysis, but for Ada83.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help...

Now here's a blast from the past... :-)

I developed the SPATS toolset as part of my DPhil work - it was a
static WCET tool for SPARK targetting 68020.  It was very much a
"research prototype" (i.e. total hack) and so never saw the light
of day.

York Software Engineering Ltd then went on to develop a tool
called STAMP that incorporated some of the ideas from SPATS.  As far
as I know, STAMP remains the only commercially available static WCET tool.
It has been ported to analyse 68020 and PPC 603e object code - no
386SX I'm afraid...

There is no "offical" SPARK WCET tool, or (currently) any support
for it in the Examiner, other than the inherent analysability of the
language in the first place.  We have the annotations and analysis
all worked out, but the funding (either internal or external) to
make it a reality has never materialized - it's just not a priority
for our customers I'm afraid.

 - Rod