From: "Mark Lundquist" <mark@rational.com>
Subject: Re: Learning Ada (newbie)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 17:24:23 GMT
Date: 2001-04-06T17:24:23+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
news:Hakz6.3384$jz.287874@www.newsranger.com...
> In article <9aiq8h$ik8$1@nh.pace.co.uk>, Marin David Condic says...
> >

> I had one very close friend whose marrige broke up as a direct result of
the
> exteneded separation imposed by integration of buggy C code. (One example
of a
> bug they found: An array out-of-bounds indexing error which would have at
worst
> immediately raised an exception in Ada, instead caused an odd intermittent
> symptom 2 networked computers away. It took them 3 *weeks* to track it
down.) I
> had another close friend working on the same project with *5* young kids
at
> home, whose marriage very nearly broke up, again directly related to the
> extended separation.

Wow.

I think everybody recognizes that professional and personal life are
intertwined.  And I don't think anyone would deny the strong connection
between the technical world and the professional world...

But the consequence, that the technical world thereby affects the personal
life, is something that's maybe not often considered (I know I've never
really thought about it quite in those terms before...)

Maybe there's some coalition of divorce lawyers behind the C-class language
hegemony and the anti-Ada climate. :-)  Or "sucky software" in general;
maybe Ron Oliver should examine this in the next round of his inquiry...:-)

-- mark