* Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-08  1:16 Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-08  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Destilling the GNAT ps-documentation has proved less than
successful; much of the pdf-documentation is badly aligned,
sometimes resulting in loss of content. So I'm wondering
whether anyone has succeeded in producing good pdf versions
of the GNAT documentation and, if so, can point me to a
download site.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-08  9:33 ` Michal Nowak
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-06-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-06-08 at 01:16 Daniel Dudley wrote:

>Destilling the GNAT ps-documentation has proved less than
>successful; much of the pdf-documentation is badly aligned,
>sometimes resulting in loss of content. So I'm wondering
>whether anyone has succeeded in producing good pdf versions
>of the GNAT documentation and, if so, can point me to a
>download site.

Hmm, the PS files looks fine...However, if you really want
pdf:
- if you have access to Linux box, you may use ps2pdf to
convert ps to pdf

- download AFPL Ghostscript for Windows and use its ps2pdf
batch file to make pdf. It is available on:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ghostscript/
you may pick gs720w32.exe, it works (a bit tweaking in batch
file may be needed)

- I may send you these pdf, I did conversion using mentioned
ps2pdf from AFPL Ghostscript, and they look fine. But they are
2 MB total (user's guide and rm).

Mike

"In the world of machines, virtual machines,
dominated by software ...
                  ... a new culture is born"

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-08 13:35   ` Jeremy
From: Jeremy @ 2002-06-08 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 05:33:55 -0400, Michal Nowak wrote:

> On 2002-06-08 at 01:16 Daniel Dudley wrote:
> Hmm, the PS files looks fine...However, if you really want pdf: - if you
> have access to Linux box, you may use ps2pdf to convert ps to pdf

The problem that I have is that all the Ada .ps files I seem to have are
formatted for A4 which is slightly larger that US Letter that's the
standard here in the US. My header and footer get's cut off when I print
making it difficult to go anywhere since you don't know the page number.

Is their a way to convert it to US Letter?

Jeremy

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-08 16:23     ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-06-08 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The problem that I have is that all the Ada .ps files I seem to have are
> formatted for A4 which is slightly larger that US Letter that's the
> standard here in the US. My header and footer get's cut off when I print
> making it difficult to go anywhere since you don't know the page number.
>
> Is their a way to convert it to US Letter?

Yes.  Use the utility psresize (part of the psutils package).

However, there is a problem with a few pages of the GNAT documentation
when converted to PDF (whether with Acrobat Distiller or ps2pdf).

E.g., pages 85 and 86 of the gnat_rm document.

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-08 19:28 ` SteveD
From: SteveD @ 2002-06-08 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message
> Destilling the GNAT ps-documentation has proved less than
> successful; much of the pdf-documentation is badly aligned,
> sometimes resulting in loss of content. So I'm wondering
> whether anyone has succeeded in producing good pdf versions
> of the GNAT documentation and, if so, can point me to a
> download site.

If you're running on Windows you might try using pdf995.  Free with ads or
$9.95 to register.  I've only used it a little but it is pretty seamless.

SteveD

@ 2002-06-08 20:28   ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-08 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"SteveD" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com> wrote in message
> "Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message
> > Destilling the GNAT ps-documentation has proved less than
> > successful; much of the pdf-documentation is badly aligned,
> > sometimes resulting in loss of content. So I'm wondering
> > whether anyone has succeeded in producing good pdf versions
> > of the GNAT documentation and, if so, can point me to a
> > download site.
>
> If you're running on Windows you might try using pdf995.
> Free with ads or $9.95 to register.  I've only used it a little
> but it is pretty seamless.

I think not, I have the full version of Acrobat and that
should suffice. For the same reason, I shouldn't need to
install GhostScript. No, there appears to be something
wrong with the quality of the original ps-files but, on the
off chance that someone has corrected them, I thought I'd
enguire the newsgroup.

@ 2002-06-08 23:21     ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-06-08 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think not, I have the full version of Acrobat and that
> should suffice. For the same reason, I shouldn't need to
> install GhostScript. No, there appears to be something
> wrong with the quality of the original ps-files but, on the
> off chance that someone has corrected them, I thought I'd
> enguire the newsgroup.
You're quite correct, as I pointed out in my earlier message,
some pages are not correctly rendered as pdf.  Personally,
I prefer the html documentation for its navigability.

I've never tried to print the User's Guide, as it's not the sort of
thing I settle down in my Lazy Boy to read ;)

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-09  0:04       ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-09  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message

> [...]

And that's where we differ; I simply wouldn't be comfortable
reading pages upon pages of text online. I've too much
respect for my eyesight to do that. Nope, give me the good
ol' armchair, a good reading lamp and a glass of 18 year
old malt whiskey anytime. ;-)

@ 2002-06-10 14:17 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-06-10 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message news:<mVcM8.421$sq6.6278@news2.ulv.nextra.no>...
> Destilling the GNAT ps-documentation has proved less than
> successful; much of the pdf-documentation is badly aligned,
> sometimes resulting in loss of content. So I'm wondering
> whether anyone has succeeded in producing good pdf versions
> of the GNAT documentation and, if so, can point me to a
> download site.

I haven't checked this myself, but I understand that all GNU projects
must keep their documentation in texinfo format. Supposedly there are
tools to convert Texinfo files directly into pdf.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-10 15:53   ` J. David Bryan
From: J. David Bryan @ 2002-06-10 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Jun 2002 07:17:53 -0700 in article
<4519e058.0206100617.1c1997da@posting.google.com>, Ted Dennison wrote...

>Supposedly there are tools to convert Texinfo files directly into pdf.

Indeed there are.  For the Windows platform, I use MiKTEX:

  http://www.miktex.org/

...regularly to produce PDF versions of the GNAT User's Guide and Reference
Manual from the Texinfo sources.  The resulting PDFs retain all of the
intersection hyperlinking of the info versions, as well as offering a sidebar
of links (bookmarks) to all of the sections and subsections.

Note: for some reason, the GNAT 3.14p documentation package for Windows
contained Texinfo sources for the Unix version of the User's Guide, rather
than the Windows-specific version included with previous releases.  A
Windows-specific version is available via CVS from:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/

...albeit targetted for a later GNAT version.
--
                                        -- Dave Bryan

NOTE: Due to unrelenting SPAM, I regret that I have been forced to post with
an encoded address.  Please ROT13 this message to obtain the reply address.
Address also available at http://www.bcpl.net/~dbryan/mailto.html

Cyrnfr ercyl gb guvf nqqerff:  wqoelna@npz.bet

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-10 17:15 ` stephane
From: stephane @ 2002-06-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Daniel,

Look at  http://eig.unige.ch/lii/Aide.htm

In the AIDE directories (mainly in aide/doc & aide-extra/doc) , you'll
find all GNAT pdf you need...

AIDE (Ada Instant Development Environnement) is a french free ADA
(GNAT/GTKAda) distro focused on windows users, with a huge repository.

Have fun !

Stephane Riviere (Oleron Island - France)

* Re: Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?
@ 2002-06-10 19:44   ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

<stephane@_delete_this_rochebrune.org> wrote in message

> Look at  http://eig.unige.ch/lii/Aide.htm
>
> In the AIDE directories (mainly in aide/doc & aide-extra/doc),
> you'll find all GNAT pdf you need...
>
> AIDE (Ada Instant Development Environnement) is a french
> free ADA (GNAT/GTKAda) distro focused on windows users,
> with a huge repository.

Sounds good. If the site supplied alternative English pages
it would be even better! Mastering two languages (English
and Norwegian) is quite enough at my age, if I'm to have
enough time left over to learn Ada. ;-)

> Have fun !

Thanks, I intend to. :-)

Daniel