From: anon@anon.org (anon)
Subject: Re: GNAT - System.ads - System Implementation Parameters
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:20:55 GMT
Date: 2008-02-18T02:20:55+00:00	[thread overview]

Some of the parameters in the System.adb are used by the GCC backend
code and with every change these parameters may go out of favor. Some
others parameters like "OpenVMS" are use for that OS only.

As of GNAT 4.3x, the System.ads contains the following three
statements:

   --  Obsolete entries, to be removed eventually (bootstrap issues!)

   High_Integrity_Mode       : constant Boolean := False;
   Long_Shifts_Inlined       : constant Boolean := True;

If you delete them Target.adb will cause the system to fail with an
error that states:

        fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
        missing line for parameter: High_Integrity_Mode
        fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
        missing line for parameter: Long_Shifts_Inlined

As for PRICING for Ada Systems (Compiler +)
        Ada 2005 (2007) specs (open source)
                Note: As of Feb, 15: Adacore is the only company
                      that supports Ada 2005 (2007) specs.

                GNAT GPL -- free but you must learn or ask others
                for information including buying books.

                In Mar, 2007 it was report that Adacore charges
                $14K per year for the GNAT PRO version.

        Ada 95/83 specs (only) (close source, non-gpl license)

                IBM and others will be around $500 for the compiler
                and they will allow UNIX / LINUX Windows environment

                Other companies pricing will be about $500 for
                Windows only envirnoent.

But from what I am understanding you because of a number of reasons
which may include censorship (low price site have a great deal of rules
with few webmaster controls), you need to run your own web server.

So, except for the time it will take to download and and install, the
software price is free. Use the MaRTE OS (latest, includes the
Ada-2005 specs compiler) and get the Apache web server. Compile
and run the Apache server under the MaRTE.

MaRTE has the programming hooks for Ada and C with POSIX interfaces
so you can write faster web apps. This enviroment will alow you to
still use the old CGI under the Apache server until you have time
to write the faster code.

Plus, you can create two or more system freely so that the Internet
server is not down during the testing phase of creating the new web
apps.