From: anon@anon.org (anon)
Subject: Re: Runtime versions (GPL vs Modified GPL)
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 01:32:55 GMT
Date: 2008-05-17T01:32:55+00:00	[thread overview]

The only reason a person want to re-license an Ada source code is to
create "Close Source". Adacore has limited that to GNAT PRO version
or you must use a non-GNAT (Adacore) Ada.  Which means the Ada
spec is limited to "Ada 95" only at the movement.

And unless you have GNAT PRO if you sell or give any binary version it
is under the GPL and you must give the source code.  And the GMGPL
is only given from Adacore not any other party for GNAT PRO.

The following parts from libre.adacore.com FAQ proves my point! And
the current GPL version is 3 but you might find or have a older package
that license under GPL version 2.

Licensing:

What is the license of GNAT Pro?
    The GNAT Pro tools are licensed under the GNU General Public License
    (GPL), while the GNAT Pro runtime and libraries are licensed under the
    GNAT Modified GPL (GMGPL). The GMGPL guarantees that *executables*
    generated by GNAT Pro can be distributed under customer-specific terms
    and conditions. Specifically, the GMGPL ensures that customers can
    generate proprietary, classified, or otherwise restricted executables.

What is the license of the GNAT GPL Edition?
    Everything (tools, runtime, libraries) in the GNAT GPL Edition is
    licensed under the General Public License (GPL). This ensures that
    executables generated by the GNAT GPL Edition are Free Software
    and that source code is made available with the executables, giving
    the freedom to recipients to run, study, modify, adapt, and
    redistribute sources and executables under the terms of the GPL.

I would like to release my software under the ABC license, which is
incompatible with the GPL. What should I do?

    If the ABC license is a Free Software license according to the FSF,
    then read the following Q&A. If the ABC license is not a Free
    Software license then it is the intention of the GPL distribution of
    GNAT to restrict your freedom. For distribution of proprietary
    software, we suggest and recommend the use of GNAT Pro, which,
    while still being Free Software, comes with more liberal licensing
    permitting this kind of use.

I would like to release my software under the XYZ license, which is
a Free Software license according to the FSF, but is incompatible
with the GPL. What should I do?

    The GNAT GPL Edition doesn't limit in any way the license you use on
    your sources. If you are distributing sources only, no issue with respect
    to the license of GNAT GPL Edition arises. You or anyone who wants to
    build a binary can do so freely from these sources, using either the
    GNAT GPL compiler or any other suitable Ada compiler. If you want to
    *distribute* a binary of your program compiled with the compiler in
    the GNAT GPL Edition then *today* the binary must be licensed under
    the GPL. Note that you can still license a copy of your sources under
    the XYZ Free Software license of your choosing.