* GNAT for WinNT
@ 2000-10-18  0:00 asgida
From: asgida @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I've only just started to use GNAT on WinNT and I am having problems with
the gnatlink - there is no output file. The following is a listing:
"F:\IATP>gnatlink -v -v ranger.ali inet_routines.o

GNATLINK 3.13p	(20000509) Copyright 1996-2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
gcc -c -gnatA -gnatWb -gnatiw -v -gnatws b~ranger.adb Reading specs from
C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\specs gcc version 2.8.1
C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\gnat1.exe -quiet -dumpbase
b~ranger.adb -gnatA -gnatWb  -gnatiw -gnatws b~ranger.adb -o
C:\TEMP\cca00214.s  as -o b~ranger.o C:\TEMP\cca00214.s C:\GNAT\BIN\gcc.exe
b~ranger.o inet_routines.o ./boolean_io.o  ./quality.o -v -o ranger.exe -L./
-LC:\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada\ -LC:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium
-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\
C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\libgnarl.a C:\GNAT\lib
\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\libgnat.a Reading specs from
C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\specs gcc version 2.8.1  ld -o
ranger.exe C:\GNAT\lib\crt2.o -L./ -LC:\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada\
-LC:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium -mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\
-LC:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1 -LC:\GNAT\lib -LC:\GNAT\lib
b~ranger.o inet_routines.o ./quality.o
C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\libgnarl.a
C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32m sv\2.8.1\adalib\libgnat.a -lmingw32
-lgcc -lmoldname -lmsvcrt -lkernel32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lming w32 -lgcc
-lmoldname -lmsvcrt"

many thanks.
ASG

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: GNAT for WinNT
@ 2000-10-18  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8sk8gb$o4f$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  asgida@my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi, I've only just started to use GNAT on WinNT and I am having
problems with
> the gnatlink - there is no output file. The following is a listing:

That's a new one on me.

Out of curiosity, why are you using gnatlink? I typically use
"gnatmake", and it handles all the compiling and linking details. If
there are extra object files you need linked in, you can pass them as
parameters to gnatmake (with the appropriate flags).

--
T.E.D.

@ 2000-10-18  0:00   ` asgida
From: asgida @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using gnatmake, but the problem seems to be with the final step
i.e. gnatlink.
Are there any flags to generate more details?
I am already using -v -v.

@ 2000-10-19  0:00   ` asgida
From: asgida @ 2000-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ulmvl1cvi.fsf@der.edf.fr>,
  Pascal Obry <p.obry@der.edf.fr> wrote:

> asgida@my-deja.com writes:
>
> > Hi, I've only just started to use GNAT on WinNT and I am having
problems with
> > the gnatlink - there is no output file. The following is a listing:
> > "F:\IATP>gnatlink -v -v ranger.ali inet_routines.o
>
> Well as you must understand this is a configuration problem or
> misunderstanding as many of us are using GNAT under Windows NT.
>
> What do you mean exactly by "there is no output file" ? Does that
means
> that "ranger.exe" is not created ?
>
> Does the .o and .ali are created ?
>
> Pascal.

The .o and .ali files exists, there are no error messages and no
ranger.exe.

I have since gone back to gnat3.12p - it installed AND created the .exe.
Maybe my gnat3.13p tar file was corrupted.
Many thanks for all who responded.

@ 2000-10-19  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

asgida@my-deja.com writes:

> Hi, I've only just started to use GNAT on WinNT and I am having problems with
> the gnatlink - there is no output file. The following is a listing:
> "F:\IATP>gnatlink -v -v ranger.ali inet_routines.o

Well as you must understand this is a configuration problem or
misunderstanding as many of us are using GNAT under Windows NT.

What do you mean exactly by "there is no output file" ? Does that means
that "ranger.exe" is not created ?

Does the .o and .ali are created ?

Pascal.

--

--|------------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                               Team-Ada Member |

* Re: GNAT for WinNT
@ 2000-10-25  0:00     ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2000-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8t5o9q$u7i@newshost.fujitsu.com.au> "Ray Smith" <Ray.Smith@fujitsu.com.au> writes:
>The "Custom" option doesn't let you change drive / folder before it checks for
>available HD space, which means if you don't have enough HD space in the
>default drive you can't install using the custom option.

That sounds like a bug to me.  I'd suggest you report it to report@gnat.com.

* Re: GNAT for WinNT
@ 2000-10-25  3:23 ` Shifty
From: Shifty @ 2000-10-25  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

asgida@my-deja.com wrote in <8sk8gb$o4f$1@nnrp1.deja.com>:

>Hi, I've only just started to use GNAT on WinNT <snip>

Sunday night I tried installing GNAT for Win98 but couldn't
even get it installed!!  Grrrr.  The stupid install program
only lets you install to drive C:.  I use that partition as
a dedicated 2 gig win-98 OS-stuff-only drive.  So it's very
low on disk space.  Applications and development tools are
installed on separate partitions (with gobs of space), but
the GNAT installer wouldn't let me pick a different drive,
let alone a user-specified folder.  So I immediately shift-
deleted it.  :)

No problem I think - I'll just boot into mandrake linux and
install the Linux GNAT.  Too bad my netif services are broken
and GRUB bootloader won't boot my Win98 drive.

Guess I'm hooped until I get a working Linux install.

Best of Luck man....

* Re: GNAT for WinNT
@ 2000-10-25  3:44   ` Ray Smith
From: Ray Smith @ 2000-10-25  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I had the same problem,

Try doing a "Typical Install" ... I think it is,
it allows you to change drive and folder.

The "Custom" option doesn't let you change drive / folder before it checks
for
available HD space, which means if you don't have enough HD space in the
default C
drive you can't install using the custom option.

Regards,

Ray Smith

@ 2000-10-25  5:54   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-10-25  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>The stupid install program only lets you install to drive C:.
  On Win95 you can install to other than C:, although it requires
a bunch of space on C: *during* the install.  (And when it says
it needs xxx more, it really needs a lot more than that.)