From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: The older you are the stupider you are?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:31:28 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2014-11-04T10:31:28-08:00	[thread overview]

> strategy without pursuing a "perfect" solution.

Not sure this is a different strategy.

> 1.  Faster development time

Gnoga and Ada does that for web apps.

> 2.  Lower cost of maintaining the system over lifetimes of one to three years

Ada provides that.

> In this case, it might make sense to choose one of the standard Linux
> distributions and use their gcc (and related) packages.

The upcoming Debian Jesse has all that is needed for Gnoga.

>  cgi-bin might work

Not needed for Gnoga, not sure why anyone would use either.

> in that case - it has the advantage of being compiled.

Gnoga is compiled and doesn't have the disadvantages of CGI.

>  The key to making
> this a successful business strategy is probably going to be standardizing
> the development framework and selecting appropriate niche markets for starting out.

Done, Gnoga and its upcoming market place for pre-canned small business software, components and connection to consultants and developers.

>  It doesn't make sense to compete directly with AdaCore's competitive
> advantage in life-critical systems.

AdaCore doesn't work with the Applications space at all. I am also in contact (well in theory in contact) with them and plan on discussions to make the space profitable for them as well as others getting in to it. They are the main maintainers of the compiler and it would be nice to have them on board and not trying to harm any effort in their misunderstanding of how it helps them in the small and big picture.

>  Rather, it will be necessary to demonstrate
> Ada advantages in agile development, on-time delivery, service guarantees,
> and lower maintenance cost (over a one to three-year lifecycle).

Agreed, the stronger the show there the better.

David Botton