* Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-26 14:30 Alex Gibson
From: Alex Gibson @ 2003-04-26 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay this is always a bit of a subjective question asking about
programming books but usually worth asking anyway.

If you had a choice of two ada books which would it be.

This is for someone(me) with intermediate knowedge(2 to 5 years)
in a few other languages including c ,c++, java ,fortran(90 and 95) and
others.
Currently learning and using vhdl.

Thank you

Alex Gibson

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-26 14:48 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-04-26 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Gibson <alxx@ihug.com.au> wrote:
: Okay this is always a bit of a subjective question asking about
: programming books but usually worth asking anyway.
:
: If you had a choice of two ada books which would it be.

Have you been looking at
http://www.adapower.com/books/ ?
There are some links to reveiws and online books as well.

--Georg

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-26 17:22 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-04-26 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alex Gibson" <alxx@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> Okay this is always a bit of a subjective question asking about
> programming books but usually worth asking anyway.
>
> If you had a choice of two ada books which would it be.

Ada As a Second Language, by Norman Cohen
ISBN: 0070116075

Concurrency in Ada, by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings
ISBN: 052162911X

> This is for someone(me) with intermediate knowedge(2 to 5 years)
> in a few other languages including c ,c++, java ,fortran(90 and 95) and
> others.
> Currently learning and using vhdl.
>
> Thank you
>
> Alex Gibson

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-26 19:44   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2003-04-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:22:15 -0500
"David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

> Ada As a Second Language, by Norman Cohen
> ISBN: 0070116075
>
> Concurrency in Ada, by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings
> ISBN: 052162911X

I'll second those nominations.

- Ed

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-27  2:48   ` Alex Gibson
From: Alex Gibson @ 2003-04-27  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@d2-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
> Alex Gibson <alxx@ihug.com.au> wrote:
> : Okay this is always a bit of a subjective question asking about
> : programming books but usually worth asking anyway.
> :
> : If you had a choice of two ada books which would it be.
>
> Have you been looking at
> http://www.adapower.com/books/ ?
> There are some links to reveiws and online books as well.
>
> --Georg

The problem is quite a few of those books seem to
be out of print.

Local bookshops here in Sydney don't usually carry any Ada books.
Have to order them in with up to 6 months wait.

The only book in stock is
 Programming In Ada 95 by Barnes   Second edition.

Amazon has quite a few but even some of the ones they have in stock are out
of print with the publishers.

Also looking for books with practical examples
writen if possible for sceince and engineering use
not just as comp sci style text book.

Preferably has embedded and realtime focus
or at least some coverage of them.

Thank you.

Alex Gibson

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-27  3:02     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-04-27  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The only book in stock is
>  Programming In Ada 95 by Barnes   Second edition.
An excellent book, and usually the first one I turn to.
Though the Cohen and the Burns and Welling books I also keep within reach.

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-27  3:14     ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-04-27  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@d2-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
> > Alex Gibson <alxx@ihug.com.au> wrote:
> > : Okay this is always a bit of a subjective question asking about
> > : programming books but usually worth asking anyway.
> > :
> > : If you had a choice of two ada books which would it be.
> >
> > Have you been looking at
> > http://www.adapower.com/books/ ?
> > There are some links to reveiws and online books as well.
> >
> > --Georg
>
> The problem is quite a few of those books seem to
> be out of print.
>
> Local bookshops here in Sydney don't usually carry any Ada books.
> Have to order them in with up to 6 months wait.
>
> The only book in stock is
>  Programming In Ada 95 by Barnes   Second edition.
>
> Amazon has quite a few but even some of the ones they have in stock are
out
> of print with the publishers.

TIP:  Amazon USA is very bad about keeping things in stock, partly because
of a really stupid US tax code provision.  I have had good luck finding
things at Amazon UK that Amazon USA says are gone forever.

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-27  6:04     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-04-27  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:48:33 +1000, Alex Gibson wrote:

> "Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@d2-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
>> Alex Gibson <alxx@ihug.com.au> wrote:

> The only book in stock is
>  Programming In Ada 95 by Barnes   Second edition.

A good book, it helped me a lot.

--
Martin Krischik
mailto://Martin@krischik.com

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-27 22:47     ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2003-04-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ed Falis" <falis@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:22:15 -0500
> "David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:
>
> > Ada As a Second Language, by Norman Cohen
> > ISBN: 0070116075
> >
> > Concurrency in Ada, by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings
> > ISBN: 052162911X
>
> I'll second those nominations.

Me too.
Cohen's book is my favorite Ada text book. But note that it is aimed at
experienced programmers.

Beginners enjoy John English's book which is online at
http://www.cmis.brighton.ac.uk/~je/adacraft/

Ehud

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-28  8:09   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2003-04-28  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:22:15 -0500, "David C. Hoos"
<david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

>"Alex Gibson" <alxx@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
>> Okay this is always a bit of a subjective question asking about
>> programming books but usually worth asking anyway.
>>
>> If you had a choice of two ada books which would it be.
>>
>Ada As a Second Language, by Norman Cohen
>ISBN: 0070116075

I would agree with that. It's the only Ada 'learning the language'
book that I ever bought.

I quite like Michael Feldman's "Software Construction and Data
Structures with Ada" (ISBN: 0201887959), but don't follow the coding
style :-)

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-04-28 18:27       ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-04-28 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have 12 books in PDF format.  If you'd like any for the reading, just let
me know.
I dont think I have the two mentioned here though...are they available in
PDF?

"Ehud Lamm" <mslamm@huji.ac.il> wrote in message

> "Ed Falis" <falis@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:22:15 -0500
> > "David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Ada As a Second Language, by Norman Cohen
> > > ISBN: 0070116075
> > >
> > > Concurrency in Ada, by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings
> > > ISBN: 052162911X
> >
> > I'll second those nominations.
> >

> Me too.
> Cohen's book is my favorite Ada text book. But note that it is aimed at
> experienced programmers.
>
> Beginners enjoy John English's book which is online at
> http://www.cmis.brighton.ac.uk/~je/adacraft/
>
> Ehud

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-05-29 21:27 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2003-05-29 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gibson

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:30:07 +1000, Alex Gibson wrote:

> Okay this is always a bit of a subjective question asking about
> programming books but usually worth asking anyway.
>
> If you had a choice of two ada books which would it be.
>
> This is for someone(me) with intermediate knowedge(2 to 5 years)
> in a few other languages including c ,c++, java ,fortran(90 and 95) and
> others.
> Currently learning and using vhdl.
>
> Thank you
>
> Alex Gibson

nobody mentioned this book, it has been updated to Ada95 now, but I have
the Ada9X version and it is very good; I used it at uni.

Ada From the Beginning by Jan Skansholm

ISBN: 0-201-62448-6 Although this'll probably be different now.

Luke.

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-05-30  0:43   ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2003-05-30  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luke A. Guest" wrote:

> nobody mentioned this book, it has been updated to Ada95 now, but I have
> the Ada9X version and it is very good; I used it at uni.
>
> Ada From the Beginning by Jan Skansholm
>
> ISBN: 0-201-62448-6 Although this'll probably be different now.

Be careful of this.  It is certainly a good book, but it does contain
some errors in the section on object-oriented programming.

Also, I will soon post an updated version of Ada Distilled free for
downloading from AdaPower and AdaIC websites.  Hope to have
it ready by mid-June.

Richard Riehle

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-05-30  6:42     ` Harald Schmidt
From: Harald Schmidt @ 2003-05-30  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/30/03 2:43 AM, in article 3ED6A941.6BCEC8E4@adaworks.com, "Richard
Riehle" <richard@adaworks.com> wrote:

> "Luke A. Guest" wrote:
>
>> nobody mentioned this book, it has been updated to Ada95 now, but I have
>> the Ada9X version and it is very good; I used it at uni.
>>
>> Ada From the Beginning by Jan Skansholm
>>
>> ISBN: 0-201-62448-6 Although this'll probably be different now.
>
> Be careful of this.  It is certainly a good book, but it does contain
> some errors in the section on object-oriented programming.
>
> Also, I will soon post an updated version of Ada Distilled free for
> downloading from AdaPower and AdaIC websites.  Hope to have
> it ready by mid-June.
>
> Richard Riehle

I use

"Rendezvous with Ada95" by David J. Naiditch and
"Data Structures and Algorithms" by John Beidler.

Both are excellent.

"Ada Distilled" is very good as a first course.

Harald

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-05-30  8:08   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-05-30  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luke A. Guest wrote:

> nobody mentioned this book, it has been updated to Ada95 now, but I have
> the Ada9X version and it is very good; I used it at uni.
>
> Ada From the Beginning by Jan Skansholm

http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/

This is very good, even if you have programmed before!  The best book
for advanced stuff is (IMO) Cohens, Ada As a Second Language.

* Re: Best ada books?
@ 2003-05-30 12:16     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-05-30 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> This is very good, even if you have programmed before!  The best book
> for advanced stuff is (IMO) Cohens, Ada As a Second Language.

Don't forget John Barnes "Programming in Ada95"