* Re: Ada programs depend on fonts (was: aunit?)
@ 2003-04-17 17:50 David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-04-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

Has anyone compared the GNAT style to the
Ada 95 Quality and Style Guide:
Guidelines for Professional Programmers
available at:
http://adaic.org/docs/95style/

This style guide covers a lot more than code presentation
(which is all that the GNAT style enforces).  It covers such
equally-important subjects as naming conventions, concurrency,
portability, performance, and a lot more.

It also provides a rationale for each of its guidelines -- guidelines
which, if followed, would produce more-readable, more-maintainable,
and better-performing Ada programs.

Just my $0.02 worth.

From: Leon Winslow @ 2003-04-18  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

I agree but with one addition.  The great majority of the guidelines apply
to almost any third generation language, not just to Ada.  Furthermore,
reading the justifications give students a better feel for good
programming in genral.

For these reasons I have often made it required in many of my classes.

Lee Winslow

@ 2003-04-20 15:10 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-04-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:
: http://adaic.org/docs/95style/

: [...] -- guidelines
: which, if followed, would produce more-readable, more-maintainable,
: and better-performing Ada programs.
:
: Just my $0.02 worth.

The decimal point should appear a few places to the right of
these digits :-)