* Generics and null procedures
@ 2003-04-13 18:40 kat-Zygfryd
From: kat-Zygfryd @ 2003-04-13 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

generic
(...)
with procedure Proc;
package Pack is....
---
procedure NullProc is
begin null; end NullProc;
---
package NewPack is new Pack(NullProc);
---

My question is: is the compiler smart enough
to ignore all calls to NullProc in Pack, or is
it going to call this obsolete procedure?

Zygfryd

* Re: Generics and null procedures
@ 2003-04-13 19:56 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-04-13 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <b7cb0a$8hd$1@news.onet.pl>, "kat-Zygfryd" <6667@wp.pl> writes:
> generic
> (...)
> with procedure Proc;
> package Pack is....
> ---
> procedure NullProc is
> begin null; end NullProc;
> ---
> package NewPack is new Pack(NullProc);
> ---
>
> My question is: is the compiler smart enough
> to ignore all calls to NullProc in Pack, or is
> it going to call this obsolete procedure?

Certainly that depends on what compiler, which you have not indicated.

* Re: Generics and null procedures
@ 2003-04-13 21:06   ` kat-Zygfryd
From: kat-Zygfryd @ 2003-04-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Kilgallen" <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net> wrote in message
> Certainly that depends on what compiler, which you have not indicated.

GNAT 3.15p (NT version)

@ 2003-04-14 15:45     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-04-14 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"kat-Zygfryd" <6667@wp.pl> writes:

> "Larry Kilgallen" <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net> wrote in message
> > Certainly that depends on what compiler, which you have not indicated.
>
> GNAT 3.15p (NT version)

Turn on all optimizations, including global inlining. Then it should
optimize away the call to the null procedure. If it doesn't, submit a
bug report to ACT.

--
-- Stephe