* I need a Ada compiler that can "step" line by line
@ 1997-01-09  0:00 Ah Chong
From: Ah Chong @ 1997-01-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for any Ada complier that can step your code line by line
when debugging instead of compiling everything at once.

Is there such a thing?

I am used to Borland products and you can "trace" your code line by
line by hitting the F7 key and creating a "watch" list.  I guess that
is what I am taking about!

--
Philip Chong
CS Major

* Re: I need a Ada compiler that can "step" line by line
@ 1997-01-09  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-01-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Philip Chong asks

'I am looking for any Ada complier that can step your code line by line
when debugging instead of compiling everything at once."

Very confused, the two things have nothing to do with one another. The
ability to do source debugging with line by line stepping has nothing
to do with incremental compilation. Perhaps you mean "executing"
everything at once.

Pretty much any reasonable debugger has this capability. If you are
using GNAT, try using GDB under the EMACS interface.

* Re: I need a Ada compiler that can "step" line by line
@ 1997-01-15  0:00 ` Kirk Beitz
From: Kirk Beitz @ 1997-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
> Pretty much any reasonable debugger has this capability. If you are
> using GNAT, try using GDB under the EMACS interface.

there is also no reason not to use gdb without emacs, if you are so
inclined.  i love emacs, but this shouldn't be an impediment for those who
don't.

gdb steps into and over ada statements, and even switches languages for you
when your ada program imports c routines or exports subprograms that are
called by c functions.  you can also examine most simple ada structures and
even some complex ones if you have a little patience.

--kirk