From: "Marin David Condic" <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Gnat GPS to be released to the public?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:40:39 -0500
Date: 2003-03-28T12:41:02+00:00	[thread overview]

Didn't say that this was the way ACT works. Said it is a process that can be
followed.

A company may not choose to work this way. They may have specific objectives
for a software product so that certain new releases encompass certain new
features. However, that has its down sides. A bunch of relatively
insignificant-to-fix bugs may stand on the sidelines for a very long time
waiting for the completion of some big feature. Having a scheduled release
with a snapshot-in-time of the product provides a regular shcedule for the
customers and a process for making a release that happens regularly at known
cost (usually). Along the way, you're giving your customers whatever work
you have completed to that point in time - they don't want to wait forever
for it, do they? Especially when they are paying for it. :-)

ACT can go do whatever it is they like. Its a free country. They have to
decide what makes the most sense for them and their paying customers. Like I
said in the previous post, I don't think the reasons behind their release
schedule have to do with bug fixes or product stability so much as they have
to do with marketing and/or monetary concerns.

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds."
        -- H. Simpson