From: Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com>
Subject: Re: Ada software helps the war Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:42:28 -0500
Date: 2003-03-25T23:42:28-05:00	[thread overview]

Faust <urfaust@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>Many ada progammers work for the DOD.

Many C, C++, Java, ... programmers also do. And many don't.

I don't either.

>Many ada products are being used right now to kill Iraquis.

Right. Many $other_language products probably, too. This doesn't
justify such a discussion in this group.

>What better place is there to discuss war ?

This is still a *language* group, dude.

>Or are you happy to work in a moral vacuum ,

I don't think it has to do with lack of morality.

>not
>caring how much death and destruction your products are causing ?

You really want to hear my personal view? So be it.

I wouldn't care about deaths caused by software that helps in killing
people by intention. I see it this way: "You want it? - You got it."

But with absolute certainty I care about death by software *failures*.

Maybe I reorder my priorities some day, but I doubt it.

Vinzent.

--
Parents strongly cautioned  --  this  posting  is  intended for mature
audiences  over  18.  It  may  contain some material that many parents