* MFC
@ 2003-03-19 22:11 alpha
From: alpha @ 2003-03-19 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to use MFC.dll in ada ... could anyone tell me how to do that ??? I'm
asking because I heard that there are some horrible problems with that.

szymon

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-20  8:52 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2003-03-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:11:17 +0100, "alpha" <alpha@skynet.org.pl>
wrote:

>I need to use MFC.dll in ada ... could anyone tell me how to do that ??? I'm
>asking because I heard that there are some horrible problems with that.

The only problem we faced, before abadoning any use of MFC in our C++
projects, was that it leaked in many places on many occasions. Is that
horrible enough? (:-))

---
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov
www.dmitry-kazakov.de

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-20 14:40   ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2003-03-20 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The only problem we faced, before abadoning any use of MFC in our C++
> projects, was that it leaked in many places on many occasions. Is that
> horrible enough? (:-))

Amen! For reasons I still don't understand, MFC has its own memory
management scheme, and you are forced to play by their own set of rules for
handling memory to avoid dire consequences. My experience indicates that if
you are going to use MFC at all, use it for everything in the project,
including threads, sockets, etc. Conversely, if you wish to avoid using MFC
in some areas, skip MFC all together -- an option that more and more
programmers are endorsing.

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-20 16:07   ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-03-20 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> The only problem we faced, before abadoning any use of MFC in our C++
> projects, was that it leaked in many places on many occasions. Is that
> horrible enough? (:-))

We've written largish C++ applications with MFC and they don't leak.
Did you acquire any evidence that the leak was due to internal MFC
behavior rather than your own failure to manage resources correctly?

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-20 17:13     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-03-20 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> The only problem we faced, before abadoning any use of MFC in our C++
>> projects, was that it leaked in many places on many occasions. Is that
>> horrible enough? (:-))
>
> We've written largish C++ applications with MFC and they don't leak.
> Did you acquire any evidence that the leak was due to internal MFC
> behavior rather than your own failure to manage resources correctly?

comp.lang.c++

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-20 17:35       ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-03-20 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> comp.lang.c++

I don't read that newsgroup because posts there tend to
be inane and off-topic :-) I just read the moderated
groups, comp.std.c++ and comp.lang.c++.moderated.

Unless you believe everything you read on the internet,
your first suspicion should be that the programmer is
at fault, not the library, given how ubiquitous MFC is.

The age and accreted growth of MFC can make it difficult
to know how to handle proper cleanup in your own code,
so you can blame it for that.

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-21  1:48   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-03-21  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Isn't impolite to refer to C as MF, even on cla?

--
Jeff Carter
"I blow my nose on you."

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-21  3:29 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-03-21  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Check out:
  http://www.jswalker.demon.co.uk/afcfaq.htm

The Ada Foundation Classes is a thin binding to MFC.

Steve
(The Duck)

"alpha" <alpha@skynet.org.pl> wrote in message
> I need to use MFC.dll in ada ... could anyone tell me how to do that ???
I'm
> asking because I heard that there are some horrible problems with that.
>
> szymon

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-21  9:04     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2003-03-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:07:23 -0500, Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com>
wrote:

>Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> The only problem we faced, before abadoning any use of MFC in our C++
>> projects, was that it leaked in many places on many occasions. Is that
>> horrible enough? (:-))
>
>We've written largish C++ applications with MFC and they don't leak.
>Did you acquire any evidence that the leak was due to internal MFC
>behavior rather than your own failure to manage resources correctly?

I do not remember all details. One case was, that some MFC class
wrapper  for a GUI object simply didn't free the resource in its
destructor. But this was long time ago, and since then it became
obvious (to us) that it is far more easier to develop Windows
applications using raw Windows API. And of course, another good reason
to push for Ada! (:-))

---
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov
www.dmitry-kazakov.de

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-21 15:57 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-21 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

I use MFC with Ada programs very frequently. What exactly are you trying to
do?

David Botton

> I need to use MFC.dll in ada ... could anyone tell me how to do that ???
I'm
> asking because I heard that there are some horrible problems with that.
>
> szymon

* Re: MFC
@ 2003-03-22 16:36   ` alpha
From: alpha @ 2003-03-22 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

U?ytkownik "David Botton" <David@Botton.com> napisa? w wiadomo?ci
> I use MFC with Ada programs very frequently. What exactly are you trying
> do?
>
> David Botton
>
> > I need to use MFC.dll in ada ... could anyone tell me how to do that ???
> I'm
> > asking because I heard that there are some horrible problems with that.
> >
> > szymon

I need to write some kind of interface for MFC to use this with Ada. This
MUST be in this way, I haven't chosen that, it was my employee. I'd rather
make an interface to the WinApi but well, I have nothing to say in this
matter.
I heard that using some classes from MFC with Ada causes some problems, I
heard that but not met so I'm asking if this is true and if it is, how do
you solve this problem

Szymon Guz