From: "Marin David Condic" <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Commercial license?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:12:33 -0500
Date: 2003-03-10T12:12:49+00:00	[thread overview]

I think there is a problem with this license that may preclude your using it
at the moment. While I like the concept of the ADCL, there is at least one
problem with it. As of this point in time, there is no Ada Developer's
Cooperative to do the administration called for in the license. It possible
that this could be solved, but until it is, you may have a problem trying to
honor the terms of the license.

Ultimately, I see the ADCL as a kind of "Blocking License" - it allows one
to use the software up to the point where there is some sort of financial
gain at stake and then it calls for revenue sharing. IMHO, this would likely
mean that nobody would use the software for commercial purposes because it
would be cheaper to re-develop it in house than it would be to share the
revenues with the original developer. (At least under the rates I had
originally seen in the license - one could always renegotiate the rates.)

I'm wondering if there is a license similar to the ADCL in the respect that
it would allow someone to use the software and share the software with
others, but forbid any usage in which commercial gain is involved.
(Including value-added situations, like bundling it "free" with some other
product for sale.) I'd like to release some software under terms like this
with the notion that if you were using it at home or at work for your own
business, great, but if you start making money with it, you need to come
negotiate another license with me. Does such a license exist?

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds."
        -- H. Simpson