* DDE.
@ 2009-04-17  8:50 Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-17  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anybody got bindings to dde to share?

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-17 10:31 ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-04-17 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter wrote:
> Has anybody got bindings to dde to share?

What is DDE? It sounds like an ancient acronym of the Windows 3.1 times.

What is it for? Isn't it superseded by OLE?

I've read (better say, looked through) an article somewhere that Ada is
well suited for DDE.

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-17 11:09   ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-17 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found some references to DDE here, but unfortunatly when following
links, I ended up with a screen in german that wanted me to apply for
a mail account (I think). Maybe I should have asked Gautier directly,
but I thought that maybe someone else got benefit from the answer.

You are probably right that there are better ways to do this, but
searching the group for OLE doesn't help much. The idea of using DDE
is inspired by my interest for Tcl/Tk, which have a package for DDE.

(I have also used Gautier's excellent Excel_Writer.)

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-17 11:50   ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2009-04-17 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Levashew schrieb::
>> Has anybody got bindings to dde to share?
>
> What is DDE? It sounds like an ancient acronym of the Windows 3.1 times.
>
> What is it for? Isn't it superseded by OLE?

You're about right:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/02/26/1763683.aspx

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-17 13:16 ` Gary Scott
From: Gary Scott @ 2009-04-17 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter wrote:
> Has anybody got bindings to dde to share?
The easiest method of sharing across processes on the same machine is
simple shared memeory/file mapping.  Across network, I sometimes use
pipes.  There are more complicated (sophisticated ha) methods.

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott@sbcglobal dot net

Fortran Library:  http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project:  http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project:  http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-17 14:02   ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-17 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I can control both sides, I am perfectly happy with TCP/IP. My
hobby application (a Bridge deal generator) has a GUI coded in Tcl/Tk
communicating with the application written in Ada uses this technique,
which I learned from my customer, keeping GUI and application.

Now after trying Excel_Writer, I would like to do more sofisticated
things with my excel output.

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-18  5:03     ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2009-04-18  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter wrote:

> Now after trying Excel_Writer, I would like to do more sofisticated
> things with my excel output.

Sure, the present version is extremely basic, the potential for
improvement is huge :-). Still, it is in some contexts way more
convenient than outputting a CSV file that you always need to reformat
in Excel in order to see something. And it is good for impressing your
colleagues with nicely formated automatic reports.
Back to your original question, I sent you the DDE stuff per e-mail. It
includes an example with some Excel interaction.
HTH
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://sf.net/users/gdemont/

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-18  9:13       ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Gautier!

Excel_writer is very good ie on embedded systems where you obviously
often do not have excel. CSV files do not offer any formatting at all
and also headings are just data aswell.

I am now trying to find a usable win32. I did not think this through
enough to realise I need that too.

* Re: DDE.
@ 2009-04-18 22:44       ` Brian
From: Brian @ 2009-04-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier, is your DDE stuff publicly available?  I'd like to get a copy, too!

Brian