From: adam@irvine.com (Adam Beneschan)
Subject: Re: Calling all language lawyers....
Date: 6 Jun 2001 10:20:41 -0700
Date: 2001-06-06T17:20:41+00:00	[thread overview]

Wes Groleau <wwgrol@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com> wrote in message news:<3B1E34E1.70D8BD0@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com>...
> Is there anything anywhere that prohibits using a subtype
> in pragma Convention?  I've dug around in Annex B in the
> RM & AARM and found no such language.  (Nor did I find any
> requiring it to be supported.)
>
> I'm porting some code that did this to a compiler
> that doesn't allow it.

B.1(28) says that the Convention pragma is a representation pragma.  13.1(1)
says that representation pragmas are one kind of _representation item_.
13.1(8) says that representation items are either "subtype-specific" or
"type-related", with all representation items other than Size and Alignment
clauses being type-related.  The same paragraph says that the name in
a type-related representation pragma must denote a first subtype.

So I think using a subtype (other than the first subtype) in the Convention
pragma is indeed prohibited by the language.

				-- Adam