* How to have Ada program send an email
@ 2010-12-17 23:23 Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2010-12-17 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I get my Ada (GNAT) program to send me an email? It's a long-
running simulation and I'd like to know when it finishes.

I'm on OS X so I suppose I could write an Applescript to cause
Mail.app to do the job, then execute the Applescript as a command line
within the Ada program, but is there an easier or more direct way?

Jerry

* Re: How to have Ada program send an email
@ 2010-12-17 23:30 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2010-12-17 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerry

Jerry,

> How can I get my Ada (GNAT) program to send me an email? It's a long-
> running simulation and I'd like to know when it finishes.
>
> I'm on OS X so I suppose I could write an Applescript to cause
> Mail.app to do the job, then execute the Applescript as a command line
> within the Ada program, but is there an easier or more direct way?

One solution is to use AWS's SMTP API.

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

* Re: How to have Ada program send an email
@ 2010-12-17 23:46   ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2010-12-17 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 17, 4:30 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> > How can I get my Ada (GNAT) program to send me an email? It's a long-
> > running simulation and I'd like to know when it finishes.
>
> > I'm on OS X so I suppose I could write an Applescript to cause
> > Mail.app to do the job, then execute the Applescript as a command line
> > within the Ada program, but is there an easier or more direct way?
>
> One solution is to use AWS's SMTP API.
>
> Pascal.

Thanks. That looks pretty cool. And I notice from the docs that you
have more than a passing familiarity with AWS, as well as one John
Doe. 8^)

@ 2010-12-18 19:06 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2010-12-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 17, 11:23 pm, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
> How can I get my Ada (GNAT) program to send me an email? It's a long-
> running simulation and I'd like to know when it finishes.
>
> I'm on OS X so I suppose I could write an Applescript to cause
> Mail.app to do the job, then execute the Applescript as a command line
> within the Ada program, but is there an easier or more direct way?
>
> Jerry

AWS - took a minute to realize that the Linux versions of GNAT GPL
2010 were suitable for Mac OS X too! D'oh!! :-)

-- Martin
Same for XML/Ada etc...

* Re: How to have Ada program send an email
@ 2010-12-18 20:25   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2010-12-18 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> writes:

> On Dec 17, 11:23 pm, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>> How can I get my Ada (GNAT) program to send me an email? It's a long-
>> running simulation and I'd like to know when it finishes.
>>
>> I'm on OS X so I suppose I could write an Applescript to cause
>> Mail.app to do the job, then execute the Applescript as a command line
>> within the Ada program, but is there an easier or more direct way?
>>
>> Jerry
>
> AWS - took a minute to realize that the Linux versions of GNAT GPL
> 2010 were suitable for Mac OS X too! D'oh!! :-)
>
> -- Martin
> Same for XML/Ada etc...

Do you mean the sources, Martin, in which case I can only agree: the
sources are the same for all platforms, it's just that they only show
the ones for which there are binaries; so Linux shows most ...

But if you mean the binaries, how do you get them to work? (aside from
in a VM, of course).

* Re: How to have Ada program send an email
@ 2010-12-18 23:23     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2010-12-18 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wright

Le 18/12/2010 21:25, Simon Wright a écrit :
> But if you mean the binaries, how do you get them to work? (aside from
> in a VM, of course).

There is no AWS binary distribution at the moment so for sure Martin is
talking about the sources :)

@ 2010-12-19  0:02       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-12-19  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry writes:
> Le 18/12/2010 21:25, Simon Wright a écrit :
>> But if you mean the binaries, how do you get them to work? (aside from
>> in a VM, of course).
>
> There is no AWS binary distribution at the moment so for sure Martin is
> talking about the sources :)

Yes, there is a binary distribution... it is called Debian :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: How to have Ada program send an email
@ 2010-12-19  9:12       ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2010-12-19  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 18, 11:23 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> Le 18/12/2010 21:25, Simon Wright a écrit :
>
> > But if you mean the binaries, how do you get them to work? (aside from
> > in a VM, of course).
>
> There is no AWS binary distribution at the moment so for sure Martin is
> talking about the sources :)

Yes, I was talking about the sources.

If you go to: http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2?config=x86_64-darwin&version=2010#
AWS isn't menioned. This gives the impression that it isn't supported.

You can however just download the version listed from
http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2?config=x86_64-linux&version=2010#

Just seems a little odd to me.

-- Martin

* Re: How to have Ada program send an email
@ 2010-12-19  9:36         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2010-12-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Brenta

Le 19/12/2010 01:02, Ludovic Brenta a écrit :
> Yes, there is a binary distribution... it is called Debian :)

Sure, but we were talking about GPL 2010 :)

Anyway, well done Ludovic, you do not loose an opportunity to tease us
about Debian :) Debian is my primary platform for development since long
time at work. I've been using Windows at home principally because I'm a
photographer and using Lightroom (there is sadly no Open Source
equivalent and Adobe seems to refuse porting this great peace of
software to GNU/Linux). But I cannot stand working on Windows[1] anymore
so I've switched to GNU/Linux Debian at home too. I'm using a dual boot
for Lightroom.

Anyway, let me thanks you again for all the work you do for Ada on Debian.

Pascal.

   [1] It seems that there is problems with the NVIDIA 64bit driver on
       Windows-7. I had a BSOD every two days with a recovery message
       saying that NVIDIA driver was faulty.