* Using DOS Functions in Ada Packages
@ 2003-06-04 14:52 Debs Wisbey
From: Debs Wisbey @ 2003-06-04 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

I am new to using DOS in general, but especially when it comes to
building programs and using it's the DOS functions (e.g. 02H 'Write to
Standard Output Device'), and I currently have a software program that
is written in Ada and uses a DOS package that is specific to the
compiler.

I am trying to port the software to a new compiler and do not have the
package body for the DOS package.  I do, however, have the
specification that tells me what the elements of the packages are
meant to do and the appropriate DOS function calls.

How do I use these procedures/functions from within my Ada program?
And do I need any specific files/software to use them? (Please include
and example or any references to a website with an example if
possible).

Thank you for any help that you can give me,
Debs.

* RE: Using DOS Functions in Ada Packages
@ 2003-06-04 15:45 Beard, Frank Randolph CIV
From: Beard, Frank Randolph CIV @ 2003-06-04 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: Debs Wisbey

Well, chances are extremely high those routines don't exist with your
new compiler. If you need those exact routine name, you could take the
known spec, create your own bodies, call the necessary routines supplied
by the new compiler to perform equivalent operations, and then compile
them into your new executable.

Do you need the exact names?  If not, just use the new compiler's
routines to accomplish the task.  Or, if you're just doing console IO,
then just use the standard Ada Text IO routines:

   Ada.Text_IO.Get
              .Put
              .Get_Line
              .Put_Line

What's the original compiler and what's the new compiler?

Frank