From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Ada in Denmark and a Wiki article
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:49:48 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-09-07T08:49:48-07:00	[thread overview]

Thomas Løcke wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > your nice page about Vectors is relevant to users of Ada outside
> > Denmark and is written in English, so I think this page should be in
> > the Ada Programming wikibook.
>
> When we planned the new website, we did discuss whether a new wiki was
> necessary or if we should just link directly to, for example, the Ada
> Programming wikibook, but we decided on going with our own, as we wanted
> freedom to do whatever we liked, and we guessed (maybe wrongly) that
> such freedom would not be possible,

Yes, you guessed wrongly. Everyone is welcome to contribute to the Ada
Programming wikibook. The existing page about Vectors[1] is very short
and would benefit greatly from your work. Meanwhile, your page is
probably not the first place newbies would find when looking for
information whereas, even a few minutes ago, someone posted a question
right here on comp.lang.ada after reading the now well-known Wikibook.

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Libraries/Ada.Containers.Vectors

> if we were to intrude on an already active wiki.

You have two people's sympathy already. You're not an intruder. And
the Ada Programming wiki is never active enough. :)

> With our own wiki, we can write whatever we want, however we want. And
> if other people feel some of our content is good enough to be added to
> for example the Ada Programming wikibook, then they are more than
> welcome to grab the content in question and add it. Copy it, modify it,
> use it. All content on the ada-dk.org wiki is made available under the
> GFDL 1.3 license.

That's called "duplication of effort" and "maintenance nightmare". Ada
was designed to maximize reuse and minimize the maintenance burden.
Heed her advice :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.