* Simple XY line plot using GtkAda
@ 2016-03-01 10:30 ahlan
From: ahlan @ 2016-03-01 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone advise me what I should use to draw a simple line plot using GtkAda (primarily under windows).
Gtk.Extra.Plot seems to have been abandoned and apparently doesn't work on Gtk3 so what should I use? Gtkdatabox also seems to be a relic of history.

Advice gratefully received,
Ahlan

* Re: Simple XY line plot using GtkAda
@ 2016-03-01 10:47 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-03-01 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/aicwl.htm#12.5

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Simple XY line plot using GtkAda
@ 2016-03-01 11:09   ` ahlan
From: ahlan @ 2016-03-01 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 11:48:06 AM UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 01/03/2016 11:30, ahlan@marriott.org wrote:
>
> > Can anyone advise me what I should use to draw a simple line plot
> > using GtkAda (primarily under windows). Gtk.Extra.Plot seems to have
> > been abandoned and apparently doesn't work on Gtk3 so what should I
> > use? Gtkdatabox also seems to be a relic of history.
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/aicwl.htm#12.5
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Dear Dmitry,
I thought that using your oscilloscope widget might be a little over the top when all I want to do is plot a few 2D line plots.
But if that is what is recommended I will try it out.
Many thanks,

@ 2016-03-01 12:18 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2016-03-01 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/1/2016 4:30 AM, ahlan@marriott.org wrote:
> Can anyone advise me what I should use to draw a simple line
>plot using GtkAda (primarily under windows).
> Gtk.Extra.Plot seems to have been abandoned and apparently
>doesn't work on Gtk3 so what should I use? Gtkdatabox also seems to be a relic of history.
>
> Advice gratefully received,
> Ahlan

That is why we need a graphics package as part of Ada standard.

C++ seems to have got the idea of how important this to have
as part of the language, so it is there all the time:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2016/p0267r0.pdf

"A Proposal to Add 2D Graphics Rendering and Display to C++"

--Nasser

* Re: Simple XY line plot using GtkAda
@ 2016-03-01 13:26   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-03-01 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/03/2016 13:18, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 3/1/2016 4:30 AM, ahlan@marriott.org wrote:
>> Can anyone advise me what I should use to draw a simple line
>> plot using GtkAda (primarily under windows).
>> Gtk.Extra.Plot seems to have been abandoned and apparently
>> doesn't work on Gtk3 so what should I use? Gtkdatabox also seems to be
>> a relic of history.
>>
> That is why we need a graphics package as part of Ada standard.

Well, GTK is notorious for killing features. Ada is much less so, in
that sense, yes.

> C++ seems to have got the idea of how important this to have
> as part of the language, so it is there all the time:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2016/p0267r0.pdf
>
> "A Proposal to Add 2D Graphics Rendering and Display to C++"

Vector graphics especially as limited as described in the document is of
minor interest compared to proper 2D graphics: UI windows, widgets,
controls. So if you want to start begin with the latter. (:-))

P.S. Many embedded platforms would rather use raster graphics instead of
the vector one, for obvious reasons. ARM rendering performance is just
horrific, literally.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Simple XY line plot using GtkAda
@ 2016-03-01 17:51 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2016-03-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/01/2016 03:30 AM, ahlan@marriott.org wrote:
> Can anyone advise me what I should use to draw a simple line plot using GtkAda (primarily under windows).
> Gtk.Extra.Plot seems to have been abandoned and apparently doesn't work on Gtk3 so what should I use? Gtkdatabox also seems to be a relic of history.

Gnoga.Gui.Element.Canvas.Context_2D.Plotting :)

--
Jeff Carter
"Sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted,

* Re: Simple XY line plot using GtkAda
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-02 11:49 ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2016-03-02 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

There was a thread on plplot package (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.lang.ada/plplot|sort:date/comp.lang.ada/afb8KEof7Ek/yi7ULXZC5i8J)

It was looking promising, but I never managed to compile it under Windows (frankly, I abandoned it after couple of hours of unsuccessful efforts).

So, I ended up writing text input files for gnuplot from an Ada program. This way I have access to all gnuplot facilities, which are ample.