From: Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Using interfaces
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 19:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-06-02T19:11:49-07:00	[thread overview]

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-6, Dan'l Miller wrote:

> For example, in many modern programming languages, Ada included, there is a natural tension between the OO feature-set and the generic/parameterized-types feature-set as 2 nearly duplicated ways of accomplishing analogous goals.

No.
OOP and Generics are orthogonal in  their goals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lv2lBq6x4A

The "tension" is due to a fundamental misunderstanding of what OOP *is*, which I think is due to the whole OOP-craze in academia, to the point where other ideas were forgotten/discarded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTEmbeENF4&nohtml5=1

> I would say that modern C++ is like giving the template engine Turing completeness with a syntax that is only slightly more readable than a Turing-machine's infinite-length tape and then making the entire reason for the language to exist to constantly put bandages on the never-quite-healing wounds inflicted by the Turing-completeness-in-the-template-engine bull goring the rest of the C++ language with its horns, as if the rest of the language is a porcelain shop that stocks only red items.  Oh wait.  No “like” about it; that is what really happened.

The amount of time/energy spent "fixing C" (and C++) is truly astounding.
I wonder how well-off Ada would be if even 1/10th of that energy had been put into addressing Ada's weaknesses, like (eg) few libraries, not as many tools, etc.