* how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-03 11:46 Nahro Nadir
From: Nahro Nadir @ 2014-10-03 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new in Ada programming language, I want to read and manipulate images in Ada without binding other libraries like opencv. Is there any way to read images in Ada? Or convert it to pixel values (RGB) especially bitmap images.

* Re: how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-03 12:44 ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2014-10-03 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 12:46:56 AM UTC+13, Nahro Nadir wrote:
> I'm new in Ada programming language, I want to read and manipulate images in Ada without binding other libraries like opencv. Is there any way to read images in Ada? Or convert it to pixel values (RGB) especially bitmap images.

For png there's a library, it worked fine for me:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/png-io/

* Re: how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-04 20:04 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-10-04 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 04:46:55 -0700 (PDT), Nahro Nadir <nahro.h.n@gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>I'm new in Ada programming language, I want to read and manipulate images in Ada without binding other libraries like opencv. Is there any way to read images in Ada? Or convert it to pixel values (RGB) especially bitmap images.

	Well, technically, they are all just binary files...

	The problem is, each format encodes the data in a different way, and
you'd need to read the specification for those formats and write code that
translates them to whatever you want...

	There is a big difference between a format using RLE vs JPEG vs ILBM.
(The Amiga native graphics were bit-plane oriented, so one had a matrix of
all the least-significant bits, followed by a matrix of next significant
bits, etc. until the most-significant bits; other formats have all bits for
one pixel packed as a single item)

	Or use a library that someone else has already created to do the same
thing <G>

* Re: how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-06  7:36   ` Nahro Nadir
From: Nahro Nadir @ 2014-10-06  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:04:26 PM UTC+2, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 04:46:55 -0700 (PDT), Nahro Nadir <nahro.h.n@gmail.com>
>
> declaimed the following:
>

> >I'm new in Ada programming language, I want to read and manipulate images in Ada without binding other libraries like opencv. Is there any way to read images in Ada? Or convert it to pixel values (RGB) especially bitmap images.
>

> 	Well, technically, they are all just binary files...
>

> 	The problem is, each format encodes the data in a different way, and
>
> you'd need to read the specification for those formats and write code that
>
> translates them to whatever you want...
>

> 	There is a big difference between a format using RLE vs JPEG vs ILBM.
>
> (The Amiga native graphics were bit-plane oriented, so one had a matrix of
>
> all the least-significant bits, followed by a matrix of next significant
>
> bits, etc. until the most-significant bits; other formats have all bits for
>
> one pixel packed as a single item)
>

> 	Or use a library that someone else has already created to do the same
>
> thing <G>
>

> --
>
> 	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
>
>     wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Well i couldn't found a library which is written in Ada and i dont want to use binding to other languages because its very slow.

* Re: how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-06  7:48 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2014-10-06  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le vendredi 3 octobre 2014 13:46:56 UTC+2, Nahro Nadir a écrit :

> I'm new in Ada programming language, I want to read and manipulate images in Ada without binding other libraries like opencv. Is there any way to read images in Ada? Or convert it to pixel values (RGB) especially bitmap images.

Here is what you need:

  http://gen-img-dec.sf.net/

Full Ada, standalone, no bindings.
Enjoy!
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://www.openhub.net/accounts/gautier_bd

* Re: how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-06  8:30     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-10-06  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nahro Nadir <nahro.h.n@gmail.com> writes:

> Well i couldn't found a library which is written in Ada and i dont
> want to use binding to other languages because its very slow.

I don't see why that has to be true.

I've been lokking at binding EasyBMP[1], which is written in C++; there
are issues, but it's doable. I'll write it up some time (and report the
GNAT bugs I found, too!).

But I think you'll be more interested in Gautier's offering.

[1] http://easybmp.sourceforge.net

* Re: how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-06 12:16       ` Nahro Nadir
From: Nahro Nadir @ 2014-10-06 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, October 6, 2014 10:30:10 AM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> Nahro Nadir <nahro.h.n@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Well i couldn't found a library which is written in Ada and i dont
>
> > want to use binding to other languages because its very slow.
>

> I don't see why that has to be true.
>
> Because im gonna to do some image processing on Gimme2 board and i tested binding opencv wich is a powerful library but it was very slow.
>
> I've been lokking at binding EasyBMP[1], which is written in C++; there
>
> are issues, but it's doable. I'll write it up some time (and report the
>
> GNAT bugs I found, too!).
>

> But I think you'll be more interested in Gautier's offering.
>
> If wanted to use binding i would prefer opencv.
>
> [1] http://easybmp.sourceforge.net
thnx for your comment.

* Re: how to read image in Ada?
@ 2014-10-06 12:19   ` Nahro Nadir
From: Nahro Nadir @ 2014-10-06 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, October 6, 2014 9:48:20 AM UTC+2, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Le vendredi 3 octobre 2014 13:46:56 UTC+2, Nahro Nadir a écrit :
>

> > I'm new in Ada programming language, I want to read and manipulate images in Ada without binding other libraries like opencv. Is there any way to read images in Ada? Or convert it to pixel values (RGB) especially bitmap images.
>

> Here is what you need:
>

>   http://gen-img-dec.sf.net/
>

> Full Ada, standalone, no bindings.
>
> Enjoy!