From: Optikos <ZUERCHER_Andreas@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: linux desktop in trouble
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 08:32:23 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2020-03-20T08:32:23-07:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 3:46:48 AM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2020-03-19 07:07, ldries46 wrote:
>
> > As a newcomer in the Linux world I can feel what he means. But I just
> > think that it is not so much the problem of the desktops themselve but
> > of the lack of standardized installation procedures. There should be
> > some installation programs as there are in windows, these programs
> > should be independent of the type of desktop you are using. And of
> > course they should be complete.
>
> Well, it is rather exactly the opposite. Windows has no standardized
> installation procedure and rules, at all.

Wrong!  There are a plethora of extraordinarily strict rules that an app (either desktop or UWP) must obey to be admitted into the 1 official app distribution infrastructure:  Microsoft Store.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/store-policies-and-code-of-conduct

Even if an x86/x64-only desktop app seeks to distribute through the Microsoft Store and forego ARM, Hololens, and Xbox deployments:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop