* open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-02 11:17 tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2015-05-02 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some funding for an energy/carbon saving project, I am completing in Ada and Gnoga. I have a requirement for an Ada binding to an existing Open Z Wave library, and am looking for someone who has the skills and ability to do that. I can pay! not a lot ! but I can pay! and the result would be an open source library for Ada that would be a debian package for Arm and Intel.

This package would allow me to eliminate a dependency and I believe improve the reliability of what I am doing as well as being able to complete the project entirely in Ada...Hooray! It is highly likely that the result could be a learning resource for incoming programmers!

Any advice for the protection of worker and commissioner towards completing this piece of the project I would be grateful for!

* Re: open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-02 11:19 ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2015-05-02 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.openzwave.com/

This is the library I am talking about btw!

* Re: open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-02 13:06   ` jan.de.kruyf
From: jan.de.kruyf @ 2015-05-02 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 1:19:43 PM UTC+2, tonyg wrote:
> http://www.openzwave.com/
>
> This is the library I am talking about btw!

Tony
I had a look through the library and it does not look good.

Then I had a look through this page:

https://github.com/maartendamen/py-openzwave/blob/master/openzwave.pyx

And I thought ah well, its doable but its a massive job. So are you sure you want to use this system?
Or are you bound to the hardware? (also pricey)

I am convinced a person could come up with something better.

Cheers,

j.

"You are not thinking, you are only being logical."
                                          Niels Bohr.

* Re: open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-02 17:30     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2015-05-02 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/02/2015 06:06 AM, jan.de.kruyf@gmail.com wrote:

> I had a look through the library and it does not look good.
>
> And I thought ah well, its doable but its a massive job.

It does look painful. How much are you willing to pay?

--
Jeff Carter
"Crucifixion's a doddle."

* Re: open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-02 19:28       ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2015-05-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you have to ask , I probably cannot afford it :) but I can stretch to possibly 3k dollar ( about 2k in stirling)
seriously though , first I am trying to ascertain the size of the job etc. I will make the library available to other users and it may be the case that if someone made a decent start on it, I could finish the major part of it myself. It would be to support a social enterprise trying to reduce peoples energy bills , but I do appreciate that people need to pay bills and eat etc.

One way might be to use the gnatcoll library and then maybe use python scripts through this library but I think it prefable to have an ada binding.

* Re: open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-02 19:42         ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-05-02 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2 May 2015 12:28:47 -0700 (PDT), tonyg wrote:

> One way might be to use the gnatcoll library and then maybe use python
> scripts through this library but I think it prefable to have an ada binding.

Where is a problem? They seem have drivers, use these, if you really need
to support these devices. It does not look a big deal.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-03 12:27           ` jan.de.kruyf
From: jan.de.kruyf @ 2015-05-03 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 9:43:01 PM UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Sat, 2 May 2015 12:28:47 -0700 (PDT), tonyg wrote:
>
> > One way might be to use the gnatcoll library and then maybe use python
> > scripts through this library but I think it prefable to have an ada binding.
>
> Where is a problem? They seem have drivers, use these, if you really need
> to support these devices. It does not look a big deal.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Tony,
if you are comfortable with the library I can certainly make an interface. I was merely bitching about the layout of the library.

You may look here to see how I go about things for myself:

https://github.com/deiKruve/openPowerLink-Ada/tree/master/stm32f-definitions

There is also an open powerlink interface there, but untested. I dropped the openpowerlink idea for reasons discussed previously on this list.

Perhaps identify some section of the library so we can do a testrun.

Cheers,

j.

* Re: open source ada binding to zwave
@ 2015-05-03 18:45             ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2015-05-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm comfortable with the robustness and its the way I want to go. My C and C++ abilities are very light, and although I'm quite experienced in the use of zwave , I am trying to substitute some software I am using at the moment which I talk to with JSON.
     The idea of doing a section is a good way of doing this with zwave, as we can associate devices using other software and either try and send commands or set up callbacks and read the data. This is an approach I think very do able.