From: "Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com>
Subject: Re: Compiling AdaSockets for Windows XP
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:16:44 +0100
Date: 2002-12-31T09:16:45+00:00	[thread overview]

Martin Dowie wrote:

> "Dr. Michael Paus"  wrote in message
>
> >I am just trying to build the latest version of AdaSockets for
> >Windows XP. However, it does not seem to be possible to create
> >various necessary files without having a lot of other tools
> >installed on the system. Would anybody be so kind and send me
> >the generated source files for Windows XP? (Just Windows is
> >probably enough. I don't think they differ from version to
> >version.) The most important file is sockets-constants.ads.
> >
> >Many thanks in advance
> >
> >Michael
> >
> >PS: Why are these files not part of the distribution?
>

> From what I can make out...
>
> The constants names are the same for pretty much all OS but the values
> associated with the names differ between OS. Part of the distro is a utility
> that creates the sockets-constants.ads file by actually building and running
> a program that returns the actual values used on that machine.
>
> Have to agree though - I spent so long trying to get this to all work that
> I just gave up and went back to v1!

What you wrote is certainly right, especially for the different versions of
UNIX like systems. But on UNIX you don't have a problem creating the
necessary files because the required tools are already available. I did that
already several times on various systems. However, the situation is different
on Windows. The required tools are not directly available and so you cannot
quickly build the two missing files. I also do not want to install these tools just for
that pupose of getting some Ada program compiled because otherwise I don't need
them. I normally don't do Ada development on Windows. In this particular case
I just needed a piece of Ada software on Windows as a test driver for a piece
of Java software I am currently developing and for Java development I use Eclipse
and have no need for Cygwin or MSYS. The distribution already contains many
OS specific files, so if the maintainers would just put in the two missing
files for Windows nobody would have to go through the pain of installing a
whole toolset for the only purpose to get a piece of Ada software compiled.

Michael