From: Karl Kleine <kleine@fh-jena.de>
Subject: Re: Interesting and historical document
Date: 19 Dec 2002 17:25:19 GMT
Date: 2002-12-19T17:25:19+00:00	[thread overview]

John English <je@brighton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>>
>> John English fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 18 December
>> 2002 04:39 am:
>>
>> > Interesting indeed. Having never seen the original Green proposal,
>>
>>         I'm not even sure if I have the original Ada textbook (which came
>> after the name was chosen but before I graduated in 1980)

> The preliminary spec was published in SIGPLAN Notices in 1979, but
> it was already called Ada by then. However, it was reasonably similar
> to the final form of the standard by then. Dijkstra's comments about
> Green make me think that Green must have been a very different beast
> indeed from what was eventually published in 1979, and I'd be curious
> to know more about it. It would also be nice to see the other proposals
> -- IIRC, Red was based on Algol 68, but that's all I know about it.

>  John English              | mailto:je@brighton.ac.uk
>  Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
>  Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
>  University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

I still have the Green language definition and its rationale, as well
as the RED language proposal. It's a long time, and I have to check
my archives, as as far as I recall right now, RED was more in the
Pascal tradition. I will check and maybe make it available also on
my history page
	http://www.fh-jena.de/~kleine/history
where you can find a number of language manuals of time gone by.
(No Ada entry yet, but that will also come sometime soon also)

Prof. Karl Kleine          http://www.fh-jena.de/~kleine
Fachhochschule Jena        kleine@fh-jena.de
Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 2     +49-3641-205-502 [fax -503]
D-07745 Jena, Germany