From: Barry Kelly <dynagen@eircom.net>
Subject: Re: Kylix (delphi for Linux), a good Ada alternative for GUI application on Linux.
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 20:35:30 GMT
Date: 2001-08-02T20:35:30+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <87lml6b45w.fsf@deneb.enyo.de>
	Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> > strong typing.
>
> AFAIK the type system of Object Pascal is based on structural
> equivalence (except for classes), so it's not as strongly typed as it
> could be.

Object Pascal typing is based on name equivalence; however, untyped
pointers (Pointer) are compatible with objects (TObject &
descendants), which is pretty miserable.

> > fully OO langauge, All objects in kylix are rooted in one base
> > object (like Java).
>
> I don't think this is true.

It is true for objects. All the primitives from Pascal are there too
though, and they aren't descendant from TObject (but they aren't
"objects" either).

> > Support single inhertance (like Ada and Java).
>
> There are some obscure things like properties and stuff.

"Obscure"? That's a pejorative term. Perhaps you'd like to expand.

> > But it is very easy to develop GUI and database applications with it, very
> > good RAD env too. They have done a good job with the libC unit that allows
> > direct call to all the C library functions.
> >
> > I think Kylix could be a good alternative to Ada on Linux.
>
> Hmm, I don't use Ada as a RAD tool, quite the contrary. ;-)

RAD is very good for GUIs; that's about it.

-- Barry

Team JEDI: http://www.delphi-jedi.org
NNQ - Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings
  http://web.infoave.net/~dcalhoun/nnq/nquote.html