From: "Marin David Condic" <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Modern copy of GNAT for OpenVMS?
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 10:33:57 -0500
Date: 2002-12-07T15:34:08+00:00	[thread overview]

Yeah, but there you're talking more about "convention" than lack of
portability. A CLI based Unix app may use things like "-Uxlaksdret" and a
VMS app may be more oriented to "/optimize=time/list=file.lis" and so forth.
But at least the app stands a reasonable chance of compiling and running out
of the box. (Sometimes you'll have differences in how command line
parameters come in when the program is executed, but the "Command/Response"
interaction of the app should be portable, right?)

Compare that scenario to anything that needs to rely on a GUI or perhaps
networking or a database and its got to look more portable. You get
something, but you give something up as well.

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]