From: asmang@CRAZYSPAMmail.wm.edu (Arun Mangalam)
Subject: Re: Laser printing from ADA (Windows)
Date: 1998/10/28
Date: 1998-10-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96-heb-2.07.981028000513.72144E-100000@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il>,
Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 dennison@telepath.com wrote:
>
>> In article <3634aec6.547292@SantaClara01.news.InterNex.Net>,
>> tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) wrote:
>> I think he is referring to his own misunderstanding of the Bazaar software
>> engineering model, which apparently runs something like this: "Someone else
>> writes everything I need for me and does all the work to get it running
>> reliably, and then gives it to me for free. I expend no effort whatsoever."
>>

>I suggest its time you read the article yourself. (You may read about
>politeness too, but maybe I am misunderstanding you too).
>
>ESR says Linux embodies the Bazar model. As far as I know it free. But
>than again maybe I misunderstodd this bit too.
>
>Bazar talks about contributing software. Note I asked "deos something like
>that exist or maybe it is time to write something new". But I guess this
>means I want someone else to do all the work. Or maybe you misunderstood
>me.
>
>Ehud Lamm     mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il

I think this elitist view that Tom and many other Ada-users have is what
cut short Ada's life early on. Making everything public domain (in which
you can and probably should contribute) is one of the reasons other
languages such as C and C++ have taken off. I doesn't take much time for a
government contractor or a business consultant or a moran with enough time
to reel off a particularly insensitive and shallow comment. Please refrain
from such comments, because all this tends to do is show how "exclusive"
Ada is.

As of now, I'm using C (which is making me gradually sick of).I
particularly like Ada and as a hobbyist I'd like to see more experimental
and useful code out there. Of course, when I am more experienced I will
most definitely contribute. In fact, I think this is gradually happening
with new Linux-style development occurring for Ada and all the excellent
available software contributed by the U.S. government. ;)

--
asmang@CRAZYSPAMmail.wm.edu
remove the CRAZYSPAM to reply.