From: Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>
Subject: Re: A little database
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:39:37 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2002-11-26T10:39:37+00:00	[thread overview]

achrist@easystreet.com wrote:
:
: In particular, when updating the parent of a parent-child relationship
: (where the XML has the children in-line within the parent) I had to
: replace the entire parent + children, passing the entire subtree as a
: single string to MSXML.
:
: Are there newer API's (MSXML2 or ???) that provide for better features
: for updating XML? MSXML didn't seem to be designed with updates in mind.

That's very likely; XML doesn't seem to be designed with updates in
mind either. Given that it is used for passing data around, and in
particular, is used in translations, and given that the corresponding
standard (DSSSL, now XSLT) uses Scheme and a functional approach,
you construct one doucment tree from another, using subtrees as in
your case (if I've understood correctly) to make changes.

However, if that isn't tolerable, for example if you don't have enough
memory for a full DOM tree etc, you are free to build your own data
structure as with any other data input.

-- georg