From: cis.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!linac!uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: ADA CODING RULES
Date: 22 Feb 93 18:47:50 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1030.237.uupcb@nitelog.com>, michael.hagerty@nitelog.com
(Michael Hagerty) wrote:
> If you do find a tool which enforces the rules and, optionally, the added
> recommendations, let me know where I can get it.

Contact Grammatech, specifically Wilson V. Kone (wvk@grammatech.com) for
info on Ada-Assured. They released it at Tri-Ada last fall. It seems to be
a language sensitive editor and pretty-printer with rule enforcement
options.

I haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting in their ads and they are
offering a 30 day free trial. Hard to go wrong with that.

The main catch is the price of about $1500 per workstation. I could see
people paying $150 per seat for this functionality, but not a lot more. To
get up into the over-$1000 price range the tool should be a powerful
control centre for the whole environment (like the Rational editor) able to
browse source using the structural information in the Ada library. If ASIS
catches on, that should be feasible for third party tool vendors to
support. (By the way, Meridian's SMART option for their PC compilers costs
only about $100 extra and gives you that structured browsing and a
hypertext version of the Reference Manual, among other things. Too bad it
is not a very powerful editor, and sometimes crashes the PC.)

... Al Quirt   (aquirt@bnr.ca)  ...
... just my opinions, of course ...