From: "Rob Veenker" <veenker@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: PDA Ada
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:33:01 +0200
Date: 2002-10-21T06:34:07+00:00	[thread overview]

"Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com> wrote in message
news:aoovst$pf9$1@news.online.de...
> Rob Veenker wrote:
> > The radio concerned is of the PR4G family (aka FM9000) by thales. It
uses a
> > protocol called SYCOMORE, used for remote control of the radio itself.
This
> > protocol however also allows (limited) data communication.
> > On the iPAQ a SYCOMORE protocol stack written in Ada was implemented
using
> > JGNAT.
> > To allow messaging, we also wrote message acknowlegdement, dispatching
and
> > marshalling functionality (all in Ada as well). The result is a
> > communication 'jar' (Java archive) that is used by a Java GUI.
>
> I was just wondering how you implemented the messaging in Ada so that it
> can be compiled by JGNAT. The message standards I know (e.g. Link 16
J-Messages)
> are heavily bit oriented and people tend to implement this via Ada records
> with lots of representation clauses. But as far as I know JGNAT does not
> support representation clauses (correct me if I am wrong). So how did you
> do that?
>
> Michael

Most of the low-level stuff is done using byte arrays and logical AND's and
OR's :-)
The records are really not that complicated but I admit that representation
clauses would make code better readable and maintainable. At least Ada does
have hexadecimal notation and bitwise operations.

Rob