From: "Rob Veenker" <veenker@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: PDA Ada
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:43:17 +0200
Date: 2002-10-15T11:46:09+00:00	[thread overview]

The radio concerned is of the PR4G family (aka FM9000) by thales. It uses a
protocol called SYCOMORE, used for remote control of the radio itself. This
protocol however also allows (limited) data communication.
On the iPAQ a SYCOMORE protocol stack written in Ada was implemented using
JGNAT.
To allow messaging, we also wrote message acknowlegdement, dispatching and
marshalling functionality (all in Ada as well). The result is a
communication 'jar' (Java archive) that is used by a Java GUI.

We are indeed using the supported version of JGNAT and are aware of the JVM
problems. The JVM's available on the iPAQ have not shown this problem
(Insignia/Jeode and NSI/CrEme).
Whether this becomes a problem is still unknown.
Also the Java standard for small devices (Personal Java) differs from the
JDK. The JVM on the iPAQ is not outdated, it's just different (sort of a
subset).

Since the protocol is implemented in Ada there are alternatives like going
native on the iPAQ using VxWorks/GNAT :-)