* RTL for GNAT?
@ 2002-10-01  7:57 Per Jakobsen
From: Per Jakobsen @ 2002-10-01  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

First of all, I'm a newbie ;-) - So please bare with me if I ask for
something stupid.

If exists, where can I find runtime libraries and/or howtos for different
targets for GNAT?
I mean, libraries that makes it possible to compile Ada programs to run on
e.g. an Atmel ARM processor, without having an entire operating system in
between.

/Per

* Re: RTL for GNAT?
@ 2002-10-01 14:19 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-10-01 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Per Jakobsen" <pdj@dontwork.dk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, I'm a newbie ;-) - So please bare with me if I ask for
> something stupid.

This is just a hard question, not a stupid one.

> If exists, where can I find runtime libraries and/or howtos for
> different targets for GNAT? I mean, libraries that makes it possible
> to compile Ada programs to run on e.g. an Atmel ARM processor,
> without having an entire operating system in between.

One approach is to use 'pragma No_Run_Time' in gnat.adc. That places
severe restrictions on your code; it assumes there is no operating
system, so it forbids tasking, heap allocations, etc. If you can live
with that, it is by far the easiest way to go.

Beyond that, there are a few research projects that are writing
GNAT-specific kernels, that provide the minimum needed for full Ada.
See recent issues of Ada Letters at
http://www.acm.org/sigada/ada_letters/index.html (seems to be down
just now).

Good luck!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: RTL for GNAT?
@ 2002-10-03 11:45   ` Per Jakobsen
From: Per Jakobsen @ 2002-10-03 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> This is just a hard question, not a stupid one.

Thanks :-)

> One approach is to use 'pragma No_Run_Time' in gnat.adc. That places
> severe restrictions on your code; it assumes there is no operating
> system, so it forbids tasking, heap allocations, etc. If you can live
> with that, it is by far the easiest way to go.

Hmm, not usable: The multitasking-capability of the language is essential.

> Beyond that, there are a few research projects that are writing
> GNAT-specific kernels, that provide the minimum needed for full Ada.
> See recent issues of Ada Letters at
> http://www.acm.org/sigada/ada_letters/index.html (seems to be down
> just now).
>
> Good luck!

Thanks a lot :-)

Best regards
Per

* Re: RTL for GNAT?
@ 2002-10-03 13:43   ` Per Jakobsen
From: Per Jakobsen @ 2002-10-03 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

> Beyond that, there are a few research projects that are writing
> GNAT-specific kernels, that provide the minimum needed for full Ada.
> See recent issues of Ada Letters at
> http://www.acm.org/sigada/ada_letters/index.html (seems to be down
> just now).

After a search-session I have found the following enviroments (or actually
minimal OS's):
*) RTEMS    - http://www.rtems.com/
*) OpenRavenscar    - http://www.openravenscar.org/
*) MaRTE    - http://marte.unican.es/
*) BOSS    - http://www.first.gmd.de/~sergio/public/ada2002-v4.pdf
(Didn't find a better link)
*) ORK    - http://polaris.dit.upm.es/~ork/    (I'm not sure if this is in
fact the OpenRavenscar above...)

Many of these seem to refere to something called the Ravenscar Profile:
ftp://ftp.openravenscar.org/openravenscar/ravenscar00.pdf

There are probably even more out there!??
If you know of more, I would appreciate a link ;-)

Best regards
Per - The super Ada hard-core programmer wannabe ;-)