* Fw: NASA Kills 'Wounded' Launch System Upgrade at KSC
@ 2002-09-18 21:13 Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-09-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Spotted this in comp.software-eng...

> "CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Five years behind schedule and expected to go
> $300 million over budget, Kennedy Space Center's plan to upgrade its
> 1970s-era launch computers is now another example that NASA
> Administrator Sean O'Keefe is not bluffing about financial
> accountability.
>
> NASA killed the Checkout Launch and Control System project Tuesday,
> citing missed deadlines and bloated spending. Despite all of the extra
> time and money, an independent review by NASA headquarters found the
> project would fall far short of its promised cost savings."
>
> See full story at
> http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/fl_clcs_020918.html

Anyone know anything about this? All I can find is a pre-project press
release
(http://www.visible.com.au/cnfman/press/pr_nasa.htm) stating that:
"Engineering will be using OO techniques, C, C++, and Java"

If true then there is surely some ammo for Adaphiles here?

"Revenge is a dish... etc" :-)

* Re: Fw: NASA Kills 'Wounded' Launch System Upgrade at KSC
@ 2002-09-18 21:31   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-09-18 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Kilgallen" <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net> wrote in message
> Not necessarily.  As the saying goes, "I could do that in Ada."  :-)

lol

It would be nice though after all those "It failed because we used Ada"
stories! Kind of even the score a little and perhaps make clear to a few
people the erroneous nature of the original claim! :-)

* Re: Fw: NASA Kills 'Wounded' Launch System Upgrade at KSC
@ 2002-09-18 22:26 ` Larry Kilgallen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-09-18 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-09-19  2:00 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2002-09-19  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is not the first time they have done this.  I worked for a company in the

early 90's that was doing an upgrade of the KSC launch control system but
they killed it also after discovering that the company was ripping them off.
It was in Ada too.  I was forced to be a whistle blower on that project
when I was told to lie to the customer (NASA).

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth

Martin Dowie wrote:

> Spotted this in comp.software-eng...
>
> > "CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Five years behind schedule and expected to go
> > $300 million over budget, Kennedy Space Center's plan to upgrade its
> > 1970s-era launch computers is now another example that NASA
> > Administrator Sean O'Keefe is not bluffing about financial
> > accountability.
> >
> > NASA killed the Checkout Launch and Control System project Tuesday,
> > citing missed deadlines and bloated spending. Despite all of the extra
> > time and money, an independent review by NASA headquarters found the
> > project would fall far short of its promised cost savings."
> >
> > See full story at
> > http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/fl_clcs_020918.html
>
> Anyone know anything about this? All I can find is a pre-project press
> release
> (http://www.visible.com.au/cnfman/press/pr_nasa.htm) stating that:
> "Engineering will be using OO techniques, C, C++, and Java"
>
> If true then there is surely some ammo for Adaphiles here?
>
> "Revenge is a dish... etc" :-)

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

* Re: Fw: NASA Kills 'Wounded' Launch System Upgrade at KSC
@ 2002-09-19  9:29 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-19  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:13:03 +0000 (UTC), Martin Dowie wrote:

> Anyone know anything about this? All I can find is a pre-project press
> release
> (http://www.visible.com.au/cnfman/press/pr_nasa.htm) stating that:
> "Engineering will be using OO techniques, C, C++, and Java"

It also says Windows 95 (sic!!!)

Preben
--
"When Roman engineers built a bridge, they had to stand under it while
 the first legion  marched across.  If programmers today  worked under

* Re: NASA Kills 'Wounded' Launch System Upgrade at KSC
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-09-19 12:15 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-09-19 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are usually a thousand reasons why a project crashes&burns and
language is usually going to be way down the list of major reasons. I
wouldn't be too quick to jump on language of implementation - it will only
start that "Ariane 5" thing again. :-)

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]